Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp Pavilion p6210y
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I got a flashing desktop (goes black and desktop) after upgrading to Windows 10.  After logging in, it is fine for about 10-15 seconds, then it will start flashing. I couldn't do anything - click on anything except CTRL-ALT-DELETE to go to Task Manager.

I did the upgrade 2x already. Before my first attempt, I did not do anything with my PC - I did not do any driver updates. When I got the flashing desktop after ugrading, I panicked and immediately rolled back to Windows 7. I was able to get to the Recovery window during the 10-15 seconds time frame right after logging in. Thankfully, it went back to Windows 7.

After the first try, I read a little bit about the similar issue and so I tried some of suggested solutions - to update drivers on my PC, to disable Windows reporting services (While on Win 10), to try to go to Safe Mode.

So I tried again. I updated all the things I can update (drivers mostly) before the upgrade. Did PC Clean up. I got the flashing desktop again. It's the same. So while, it's flashing, I tried to disable the Windows reporting services which is very difficult to do with the flashing desktop. It did not do anything obviously. So I went to Safe Mode. After booting to safe mode, I got the normal desktop screen for about 5 seconds but a blue window quickly flashed then the desktop on Safe Mode just turned black, with only the mouse pointer visible.

So, I rolled back to Windows 7 again.

I don't have a lot of stuff/programs on my PC as I uninstall programs right away if I know I will not use it. I do PC cleanup/Virus scan on a regular basis.

Info regarding my machine:

HP Pavilion p6210y

Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit

Video card: NVIDIA GEForce 9100

Any suggestions/help will be much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The only thing that solved the issue is resetting my machine while keeping my personal files.

I never figured out what really caused it.

So, after the upgrade while the screen is flashing, I was able to reset the PC.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Found the following solution at PC Advisor. It worked for my HP Pavillion. Good luck. 

Open task manager ... under file (top left) "Run new task" ... type msconfig (yes it is hard to type as screen blinks, but it can be done) ... In the new box that opens (it may be behind the task manager box) go to Service Tab .... Scroll until you find 2 tasks that need to be stopped ... (1) Problem Reports and Solution Control Panel Support .... (2) Windows Error Report Service.... Disable these by unchecking .... Click Apply ... Click OK ... If you are prompted to restart, then restart computer ..... This is the main issue causing the screen to blink . .. Ironic that the items causing the errors are the solutions designed to report errors to microsoft

HP Recommended

The only thing that solved the issue is resetting my machine while keeping my personal files.

I never figured out what really caused it.

So, after the upgrade while the screen is flashing, I was able to reset the PC.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.