Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion 550-103NA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I had an automatic update complete and since then I can't do anything with the cursor. After the update blurb, "hi" etc etc, the log in screen was static as usual, and allowed me to enter my password, then the desktop loads and flickers every second between plain black screen, desktop, then desktop with my icons. The cursor will move around the screen but I cannot select the window at the bottom left to select any programmes or anything. The cursor is the blue circle not the arrow. I've turned it off twice and same result each time. What can I do? I found a few similar problems asking for windows update to be run and anti-virus to be removed, but I can't do that without the cursor being functional. PC is exactly a year old, but was completely unused for 10 of those months as I was abroad and using my laptop. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If it indeed was an update I would suggest that you use the Last Known Good Configuration feature. To do so power up the computer and begin pressing the F8 key repeatedly until the Windows boot menu appears. Then select the Last Known Good Configuration option.  If this doesn't work for you, you could try and troubleshooting the drivers. I have had a corrupt video driver in the past that generated a Windows 10 bluescreen error. Boot into safe mode. As a last resort you may need to reformat the HDD. (if problem continues it may be a hardware issue)

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

If it indeed was an update I would suggest that you use the Last Known Good Configuration feature. To do so power up the computer and begin pressing the F8 key repeatedly until the Windows boot menu appears. Then select the Last Known Good Configuration option.  If this doesn't work for you, you could try and troubleshooting the drivers. I have had a corrupt video driver in the past that generated a Windows 10 bluescreen error. Boot into safe mode. As a last resort you may need to reformat the HDD. (if problem continues it may be a hardware issue)

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
HP Recommended

thanks you so much, I couldn't get F8 to activate the magical reset, but ESC-reset options-etc got me to a screen that went back to a previous Windows version. You saved me £33 for a one-off problem fee with telephone support, I'm so grateful. Thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.