Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

My HP desktop is about 2 years old, and has two USB ports on the front and a several at the back. I had no problems with any of the ports till I used a USB stick in the now-broken port and it caused a malfunction so that now that port won't recognise any USB device.  It says "USB device not recognised.  The last USB device you connnected to this computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognise it."  

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the USB ports on Device Manager, and have been through all the suggestions on both the HP support site and the Microsoft support site. The faulty USB stick must have caused some damage to the port. I'm hoping you can suggest something that I can do to get it working again.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The one front port is damaged. The USB stick must have damaged only that USB port. I would avoid using that stick of memory again.

You will need to replace the USB module housing both USB 3.0 ports as both front ports use the same module and connections to the motherboard. 

You will probably have to go to HP for the part.

You should be able to get access to the component by removing the front bezel. Remove the side panel also. You should see the cable connection and follow it the the front USB 3.0 header on the motherboard.

Jay

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

It is not entirely clear but most of the "fixes" required the PC to be rebooted as one of the steps, especially the ones using Device Manager.  Have you done that?

Do all the USB ports now report being this way?

"USB device not recognised.  The last USB device you connnected to this computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognise it."  

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Please provide only your PC's full product number.

Are both front USB ports out of commission? Those ports use the same connections from the ports to the motherboard.

Are you referring to USB 2.0 ports?

Many HP PC's have front or top USB 3.0 ports.

Do the rear USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports work correctly?

Can you use the same memory stick you last used on the "broken USB port" successfully in other USB ports now?

Did Microsoft or HP suggest trying System Restore?

Cheers!

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.  I have rebooted several times since I've uninstalled and reinstalled pretty much every option under USB in Device Manager.  All the other USB ports work fine - it's just one of the two on the front of the desktop.  The other one on the front is fine (it's where I plug in my mouse).

HP Recommended

Thanks, Jay.  Product number: D7T84EA#ABU

Only the one front port is not working - the other one at the front, and the ones on the back are fine.  The Device Manager says  two ports are USB 3.0, and so I'm assuming those are the ports at the front?

I've tried using a variety of USB devices, including my mouse, in the broken front port, and the devices all work fine in the other ports.

I haven't done a System Restore yet.  I'm thinking there must be something physical wrong with the port - maybe the faulty USB stick I put it in that caused it to malfunction was a bad shape and has caused some physical damage to the port?

HP Recommended

Hi,

The one front port is damaged. The USB stick must have damaged only that USB port. I would avoid using that stick of memory again.

You will need to replace the USB module housing both USB 3.0 ports as both front ports use the same module and connections to the motherboard. 

You will probably have to go to HP for the part.

You should be able to get access to the component by removing the front bezel. Remove the side panel also. You should see the cable connection and follow it the the front USB 3.0 header on the motherboard.

Jay

HP Recommended

Thanks, Jay

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome.

Jay

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.