Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

1. How can I clone the HP installed HDD to a M.2 compatible SSD prior to installing the M.2 SSD?  
2. After cloning and installing the M.2 SSD will the M.2 become the 'C' drive to reboot or:
3. Does the HP installed HDD have to be removed for the M.2 to be assigned as 'C'?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have the HP AIO maintenance dis-assemble/re-assemble videos to do my M.2 install. I noticed there appear to be 2 versions on the M.2 SSD module, one with one notch the other with 2 notches. How do I find which is the correct one fo my MB?

The 'one notch' appears to be compatible to "SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2280 1TB PCIe Gen 3.0 x4, NVMe 1.3 V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V7S1T0B/AM"

The 'two notch' appears to be compatible to "SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 2280 1TB SATA III V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-N6E1T0BW"

Any clue on which fits my HP All-in-One 24-10037c ?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@habuchas 

Let's get our terms correct, first.  To "clone" means to make an exact copy -- so the only way you can do that is if the SSD is the same capacity as the HDD.  I did this a few years back and replaced the 500GB HDD in my laptop with a 500GB SSD -- and was able to clone it without any issues.  When I swapped the two drives, the laptop booted without issue.

When you migrate the partitions from the HDD to the SDD, the SDD will then become a candidate boot device.  But, for it to actually do that, you will have to connect it inside your Desktop.  An m.2 drive does not connect directly to SATA data or power ports, so you will need an m.2 socket on your motherboard for this to work.

If you want to "migrate" the contents of the HDD to the SSD, you have to do the following:

1) Connect the SSD to your PC. You posted in the Desktops section, so that means your desktop either has a SATA cable and power cable that you can connect to an SSD, or it has abn m.2 SSD port.  If it does not have the m.s port, you will have to search online for a m.2-to--SATA connector so you can connect the SATA data and power cables to the SSD.

2) Boot your PC into windows.  You should still be able to boot by default from the HDD.

3) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR) from here: https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree    This is a utility you can use to migrate the partitions from the HDD to the SSD

4) Follow the instructions in this link: http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Cloning+a+disk
5) Shutdown the PC when done
6) You will then most likely have to go into your UEFI/BIOS settings (by pressing F10) and look at the boot order of the drives.  If the m.2 SSD is not at the top of the list, you will need to move it there.

7) Reboot the PC. Windows will assign "C" automatically to the OS partition on the m.2 SSD.

NOTE: To do this easily, the SDD has to be the same capacity as the HDD.  IF you get an SDD that is a lot smaller, then before you do the cloning, you have to shrink the largest partition on the HDD (usually the OS partition), to the size such that it, and the other partitions, fit easily on the SSD.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for replying. My HPAIO has an M.2 slot. Here's my plan; 

1. Purchase a compatible M.2 1TB SSD w/heatsink material

2. Install it into HP AIO

3. Clone 1TB HDD to M.2 SSD

4. Change BIOS settings assigning M.2 SSD as "C' to boot from

5. Reboot from M.2 SSD

If you see problems with this sequence please comment. I am 86 yrs old with MD so doing it more than once will be time consuming, so I only wan to do it 1 time.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

I have the HP AIO maintenance dis-assemble/re-assemble videos to do my M.2 install. I noticed there appear to be 2 versions on the M.2 SSD module, one with one notch the other with 2 notches. How do I find which is the correct one fo my MB?

The 'one notch' appears to be compatible to "SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2280 1TB PCIe Gen 3.0 x4, NVMe 1.3 V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V7S1T0B/AM"

The 'two notch' appears to be compatible to "SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 2280 1TB SATA III V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-N6E1T0BW"

Any clue on which fits my HP All-in-One 24-10037c ?

HP Recommended

@habuchas 

Sorry, can only find the following information -- and it doesn't say whether the m.2 slot is NVMe or SATA:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06000375

Looks like you will have to open the case and look at the slot on the motherboard to see if it has one pin or two.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

MB info gave the answer. Thanks

chas

HP Recommended

Great info, just ordered the M.2 SSD + heat sink pad material.  I noticed on th MB info that it supported the I7 CPU. Is this true as far as you know? I assumed the I5 and I7 required different sockets. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.