Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 21-h013w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I click on the start button in the lower left corner, in the past it brought up all of the pinned tiles.  Now, there are none.  Now when I click on the start button I get the power options button and my account information button in the lower left portion of the screen.  On the top there are three icons.  One says "expand", one says "pinned tiles"(it does nothing when I click on it) and the third one says "all apps".  When I click on "all apps" it brings up a list of apps across the whole screen and every one of the apps listed says "New" by it.  Many of these are apps that I already had, but EVERY ONE of them says "New".  Most of the items that were on my taskbar are now missing, including Microsoft Edge which was the browser that I use.  I can't even find Edge anywhere on my computer.  I've looked at program files, apps and anywhere else that I can think of.  While looking through the list of updates performed there are about four Windows updates that are dated 3/15/17.  My computer is basically worthless to me at the present time.  I don't have a clue what to do.  I tried to do a recovery.  The date it recommended was 3/11/17, which would be before those Windows updates were done.  It went through the process and said that it couldn't complete the recovery.  Now I can't even remember where I found the recovery option, or else it's now also gone.  I am at my wits end and I have absolutely no clue what to do.  Can somebody please point me in the right direction?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Les29

Thank you for replying with this overwhelming and detailed response 😉

I appreciate your time and efforts,

And I'm glad things are back in place, just the way you needed them to be,

I would suggest you stay away from Softwares that ask you to pay to fix issues as they're normally not trustworthy,

That said, you are welcome to repost any other concerns as well (if need be),

As I agree that we are indeed at the age of technology and helping each other is the best way to grow our knowledge

And my mum always says: Knowledge is power 🙂

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

And accept this as the solution to help others find your post helpful.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Les29

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand most of the applications are showing as new, the start screen has changed the view set and you need the old view back,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help you, although, to provide an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern: 

Do correct my if I'm wrong but it looks like your computer came with the windows 8.1 and now it's been upgraded to windows 10, it's a free upgrade recommended by Microsoft, don't you like it?

If you want to go back to windows 8.1,

you may do so using this HP Article: Click here for details

And ensure the automatic updates are changed to manual unless you want to be upgraded automatically again.

Also, Here's a related HP Forums post that seems to have helped many others: Click here

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanx for the reply.  You are correct in your assessment that my computer came with Windows 8.1 and that I then received the free upgrade to Windows 10.  That was last year in August, 2016 when I purchased my computer.  In the time since then I have been very satisfied with Windows 10 and absolutely LOVE the HP Pavilion 21 All-In-One computer with 21" HD touch screen.  The few complaints that I did have about Windows 10 were small issues and, upon checking into them, realized that they were common issues that other users also had.  Issues such as not being able to personalize tiles when pinning them to start and Windows 10 not coming with a DVD writer installed within.  These were all minor inconveniences that I was willing to live with in the hopes that Microsoft, in it's infinite wisdom , would eventually address them if enough other people raised the same issues. 

Back to my original reason for posting to this forum.  While trying to do the restore that I had mentioned, which didn't complete any of the three times I tried; each time with a different restore date; each time I received the same error message as to the reason it couldn't complete the restore:  Error #0X80070091.  I Googled this error number and a number of solutions popped up which claimed that this error could be fixed in 3 minutes.  Each was a program which claimed that with their "free" download I could take care of this.  As anticipated, each of these was a program which scanned my computer and then offered to fix all of the issues they had discovered if I would now upgrade to their premium services.  The first one of these that I tried claimed to have found over 2100 "issues" on my hard drive that they could fix, but I needed to buy their services for $59.99 before they could proceed any farther.  Being stubborn and stingy, I decided to try another of the "free" download services before giving in and paying someone to hopefully fix my issues.  I tried a second of these services and upon downloading their program and completing their scan, they found 242 issues on my hard drive and if I wanted them all fixed, they also required me to sign up and pay for their full services.  This one, however, did say that 27 of these issues were fixable immediately without paying for further services and that I would have to pay for their premium service if I wanted to fix the rest.  Again, being stingy (or thrifty to put it in a better light), I told it to fix the 27 issues that it could fix for free and we would see about the rest later.  I don't know if this fixed the critical error of not, but it is possible that it did.  After doing this, I went back and tried another reset.  Only this time I took a different path and instead of initiating the reset through Windows, I followed instructions from the HP Support website and initiated an HP System Recovery through HP Support.  IT'S MAGIC!!!  I don't know if the difference was the 27 issues fixed through the service I downloaded or if it was because I used the HP System Recovery path this time but, like magic, my computer is now working fine.  Microsoft Edge, my email link and other things that were all missing were all back and the only thing that was different was that all of my tiles on the Start page had reverted to just the pre-installed ones from Microsoft and I had to reinstall the ones that I had put there.  A small price to pay.  There were a couple of apps that were missing that I had to reinstall, but that's not a big deal.  I didn't lose any of my personal files.  Also, the Windows 10 updates that had been done on 3/15/17; which I think may have been repsonsible for this whole mess; must have been done again following the process of the reset.  When I started to re-pin the tiles to the Start page, I noticed that they now carry the logos of the sites that they are linked to.  This was one of the aforementioned issues that I had with Windows 10 that they must have been addressing with this latest update.  Also, there is now a DVD writer app there which was not there before.  It's an app, not a Windows program, and I'm sure that to receive its full services I'll have to upgrade it.  But it's there and it wasn't before.

Because I changed two of the parameters before initiating the reset; fixing the 27 issues and doing the reset through the HP System Recovery instead of through Windows; I'm not sure what was responsible for it working this time.  I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.  If I had to guess, I think the difference was probably doing the reset through HP System Recovery.  All that I know for sure is that my computer once again works as well as it ever has and that I am a happy camper. 

I would like to offer my thanks to anyone and everyone out there who offered their help in the HP Support Forum and also in the Microsoft Community Forum.  It's heartwarming to know that there are people out there who are willing to offer of their knowledge and experience to help others, such as myself.  We live in a wonderful age of technology and information which can sometimes overwhelm us and make a person feel lost and bewildered.  It's comforting to know that there are people out there willing to help. 

Sincerely,

Les Herbison   😄

HP Recommended

@Les29

Thank you for replying with this overwhelming and detailed response 😉

I appreciate your time and efforts,

And I'm glad things are back in place, just the way you needed them to be,

I would suggest you stay away from Softwares that ask you to pay to fix issues as they're normally not trustworthy,

That said, you are welcome to repost any other concerns as well (if need be),

As I agree that we are indeed at the age of technology and helping each other is the best way to grow our knowledge

And my mum always says: Knowledge is power 🙂

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

And accept this as the solution to help others find your post helpful.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.