Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 110-210
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have a desktop HP 110-210 running Windows 8 stuck in a boot loop. I have tried everything I know how without a recovery disk. Changing boot order, ran a DPS-Self Test which I'm to believe is a test for the Hard Drive? Came back 0, which is supposed to be no errors with the hardware. 

Most importantly this all started after a power surge, so I thought the worst for the hardware, but it all seems OK. I don't have a recovery disk, is that my next step? Boot from CD/DVD?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

Did you try the F11 factory reset option? 

You can see if that works if you don't need to recover any files, as they will be deleted during the reset.

Here is a link for the various factory reset options.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00006110

If you do need to recover files, or the factory reset option didn't work, and if you don't have W8.1 installation media, you can make your own by downloading the plain W8.1 x64 ISO file from the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO

Use the Microsoft tool that I zipped up and attached below that you will need to transfer the ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive so that it is bootable.

When you boot from the media, on the lower left corner of the Install Now screen, there is a Repair your computer option.

You can try the various repair tools to fix the existing Windows installation.

If that fails, you can reinstall Windows, and if you need to recover files, do not delete or format any partitions.

Let W8.1 install over the existing Windows installation, and it will create a Windows.old folder.

After W8.1 has completed installing, you can explore the Windows.old folder, find your old user profile, copy and paste your old user folders to the new Windows user profile, or copy them to a portable hard drive.

You can reinstall the drivers and available software from your PC's support page.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-110-Desktop-PC-series/5399643/model/6529728

HP Recommended

Oh nice nice,  much thanks. I do need to save the files if possible so I will try the disc. Thanks!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Well, I created the disk to your instructions and the burn went fine but for some reason I'm still having the problem. Being that I changed the boot order to check the CD/DVD rom first, but nothing different happens, it just goes to a black screen and restarts. Same if I try diagnostics (f11 i think?). Did I make a mistake making the boot disk? It seemed pretty simple. Hm.. I just don't know where to go from here.

HP Recommended

Hi:

There is no need to change the boot order.

If you made a DVD, you may have to go into the BIOS, enable legacy mode and disable secure boot.

See this link for the settings to change.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03659945

While you're in the BIOS, change the boot order back to have the hard drive as the first bootable device.

Save all the settings and exit.

Restart the PC with the Windows 8.1 DVD in the drive, immediately tap the ESC key to get the menu of options.

Select the F9 boot options menu, and from that, select the legacy DVD drive and press the Enter key,

The PC should boot from the DVD drive...you should see a message on the screen to press any key to boot from the DVD.

If that doesn't work, then run the diagnostics test.  I think it is F2.   F11 is recovery.

HP Recommended

Thank you again. I had the BIOS settings all wrong. I defaulted them and followed your instructions. I get to the point to legacy boot the sata0 under the CD/DVD rom.. and it justs blacks out and restarts again. Also, trying recovery or diagnostics either one sends it into a restart. I don't get that. I'm stumped, man! I guess I need to let someone look at it. I do appreciate all the help.. something must be fried?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You need to select the CD/DVD ROM device to boot from the installation media.

SATA 0 is the hard drive, so when you select that since there is no OS installed that may be what the problem is.

HP Recommended

This one is alittle different, I guess.

20200809_152027.jpg

Seems the CDDVD is sata0 and the HD sata1..

20200809_152008.jpg

 So I get here, looks good to me, At this screen, I can't select the ATAPI option itself, just the SATA0. But still, another restart. I'm perplexed with it. Am I missing anything there? Maybe I'll try USB. Bah! Again, thanks for the guidance it seems it should work the way you've advised me.

HP Recommended

OK, now I understand.

So...did you ever open up the PC and do any work inside?

I ask because the hard drive should always be SATA0, and since your PC's motherboard only has two SATA ports, the DVD drive should be SATA1.

See if shutting down the PC, unplugging it and switching the SATA data cables around allows you to boot from the DVD drive as SATA1.

Unfortunately, I don't see a service manual for your model PC, but if you have opened it up in the past, then you know how to do it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.