Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Pro 6300 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, just recently I replaced my orignal HDD with another HDD that has 1TB on it, (the orignal had around 460GB on it) so after I installed it, I powered on the computer but its stuck on a black screen that looks like some sort of command prompt as there is a white line thats blinking on and off. Everytime I press a key on the keyboard, it plays a loud beep sound from the internal speakers. Can I get some help? I do not know how to resolve this issue.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

You've pressed too many keys when the system is unresponsive and filled the keyboard buffer, that's why it's beeping at you.

Normally when you install a new/blank HDD, you'll be left with a message similar to 'no bootable device found, insert system disk'

Not sure why it's 'hanging' at the flashing cursor.

Make yourself up a Windows 10 installation USB from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

If you had Windows 10 on the old HDD, then it'll activate automaticlly when you install on the new hdd when you're 1st connected to the internet.

Insert the stick once you've made it (on another computer) and when you turn on the other one, keep tapping F9. When prompted for the boot device, choose the USB stick. Follow the prompts to install Windows on the new 1TB drive. Make sure you select the correct version if prompted (home / pro) as it will only activate if it matches the version on the old hdd.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.