Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Device Manager
Microsoft Windows Server 2016

Hi,

I have a problem with HP Device Manager console v4.7 SP11 not starting on a Windows server 2016 remote desktop services desktop, it works sometimes but not every time. Had no issues before when installed on 2008 R2 server desktop..

The server only runs the console component and software installed OK, no errors and the C:\ProgramData\HP\HP Device Manager\Console folder structure is present.

The hpdm-console log file doesn't provide any useful information.

.Server does also have Java 8 update 251 installed, could this be conflicting with the Java version the console is using ?

Any idea's ?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

My guess would be available memory.  When JVM starts it tries to allocate memory, when there is no sufficient memory it can refuse to start.  Please try to free some memory and see if the console can start.

I am an HPI Employee.
My opinions are my own and do not express those of HPI.
**Light the thumb up if you like my post**
HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for the reply,

I did think it had something to do with lack of memory because I managed to get the console to start by logging off a few user disconnected sessions although this didn't always work.

Today the console started OK, with less than 1GB of available memory which is the lowest I've seen it on the server so I'm not so sure if this is the issue.

Can other applications which use their own install of Java or JRE being run by other user sessions on the server cause start-up problems for HP Device manager ?

Is there any extended logging I can switch on to get more diagnostic information for the console start-up ?

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.