Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion TP01-0004nf
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

one of my drives has a partition with a volume letter Z assigned.

I discovered recently that a scheduled task named "SmartCheckTest" in "Hewlett-Packard\HP Diagnostics" section, every week at 8 o' clock , executing following command "cmd /c start hpdiags://SmartCheckTest"

has an unwanted result : my partition loose its volume letter

in consequence one of my software using this letter is badly affected.

the "Application" windows event log logs all occurences of this HPDiagnostics and the first ones appear only after a BIOS update on march 2021

I reproduce exactly the problem when I run manualy the task or directly the "cmd /c start hpdiags://SmartCheckTest"

additionnal information : if this volume is assigned Y volume letter rather than Z, this HP Diagnostic doesn't remove the Y letter

because I can't easily modify my software , temporarily I disabled the task

any idea ? anyone discovered the same issue ?

regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello,

yes , I created this partition and use it as target of my system backups (Macrium Reflect Free) .

finally, I was able to modify the configuration of this software more easily than expected and changed the volume letter Z for Y
after having noticed that the HP Diagnostics SmartTestCheck doesn't erase this letter Y 😃

erasing Z letter is really a bug for this piece of HP software.

I'll wait a while but I'm pretty sure my problem will be gone.

regards

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Add on :

the HP Diagnostic is the Windows Store application

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\AD2F1837.HPPCHardwareDiagnosticsWindows_1.6.8.0_x64__v10z8vjag6ke6\HpHwDiag.exe

HP Recommended

Hello
did you create this disk partition?
Isn't that common for an original drive letter?
For the software it's strange, because it's supposed to be there just for testing, not for modifying the partitions.
From what you say, if it remains as, with another letter, you have two options, I do not see much else
Either deactivate the task, so that it does not start on its own, as already done ..
we don't have a real need for this to be done all the time ..
Either put things in perspective, stay with a partition that doesn't change, but reinstall the programs.
Unfortunately if the software is up to date, and it is the software that is causing it, you don't have a lot of options.
this may not change my idea, but you can say more about these partitions, how are windows installed, the programs exactly?

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hello,

yes , I created this partition and use it as target of my system backups (Macrium Reflect Free) .

finally, I was able to modify the configuration of this software more easily than expected and changed the volume letter Z for Y
after having noticed that the HP Diagnostics SmartTestCheck doesn't erase this letter Y 😃

erasing Z letter is really a bug for this piece of HP software.

I'll wait a while but I'm pretty sure my problem will be gone.

regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.