Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Elitedesk 800 G4 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello community.

We order HP Elitedesk 800 G4 SFF and already getting problem when we try to install Windows 10 from the scratch. First of all when I open the computer there is literally between 15 and 20 bloatware. HP Client Security Manager, HP Connection Optimizer, HP Device Access Manager, HP Documentation, HP ePrint SW, HP ESU for Microsoft Windows 10, HP Hotkey Support, HP JumpStart Bridge, HP JumpStart Lauch, HP Notifications, HP Support Assistant, HP Support Solutions Framewaork, HP Sure Click, HP Sure Recover, HP Sure Run, HP Velocity and much more.

So I download form Microsoft : MediaCreationTool1803.exe and create a bootable USB Device with Windows 10. When I install Windows 10 I need to install the LAN driver (Intel I219 NIC Drivers for DTO Microsoft Win 10 -64bit sp88149), after this Windows Update is starting to download and install 7 updates.

Definition Update for Windows Defender Antivirus KB2267602 (definition 1.277.871.0)

HP Development Company, L.P. - Keyboard - 7/11/2018 12:00:00 AM - 11.0.3.1

2018-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64 based Systems (KB4462919)

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - October 2018 (KB890830)

Update for Adobe Flash Player for Winodws 10 version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4462930)

2018-09 Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4100347)

2018-09 Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4457146)

After finishing these update it required a restart. I restart the PC and get WDF_VIOLATION. Not possible to repair windows, not possible to go back to a previous restore point.

Thank you for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey guys, to fix the WDF_VIOLATION BSOD, you will need to boot into the recovery enviroment, open CMD. Then you will need to ensure you know which partition your Windows is installed on. Then you will need to rename or delete the "HpqKbFiltr.sys" driver and once you've done that you can restart and Windows will boot sucessfully.This took us an entire day to locate and fix but it was well worth it, we really didn't like the idea of remaging every PC with an image created pre-broken update. Hopefully this fix works for you also.

Good luck, Goddo

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@MaxITTech wrote:

1. We order HP Elitedesk 800 G4 SFF and already getting problem when we try to install Windows 10 from the scratch.

2. First of all when I open the computer there is literally between 15 and 20 bloatware.

1. HP Client Security Manager,
  2. HP Connection Optimizer,
  3. HP Device Access Manager,
  4. HP Documentation,
  5. HP ePrint SW,
  6. HP ESU for Microsoft Windows 10,
  7. HP Hotkey Support,
  8. HP JumpStart Bridge,
  9. HP JumpStart Lauch,
  10. HP Notifications,
  11. HP Support Assistant,
  12. HP Support Solutions Framewaork,
  13. HP Sure Click,
  14. HP Sure Recover,
  15. HP Sure Run,
  16. HP Velocity
  17. and much more.

3. So I download form Microsoft : MediaCreationTool1803.exe and create a bootable USB Device with Windows 10.

4. When I install Windows 10 I need to install the LAN driver (Intel I219 NIC Drivers for DTO Microsoft Win 10 -64bit sp88149),

5. after this Windows Update is starting to download and install 7 updates:

1. Definition Update for Windows Defender Antivirus KB2267602 (definition 1.277.871.0)
  2. HP Development Company, L.P. - Keyboard - 7/11/2018 12:00:00 AM - 11.0.3.1
  3. 2018-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64 based Systems (KB4462919)
  4. Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - October 2018 (KB890830)
  5. Update for Adobe Flash Player for Winodws 10 version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4462930)
  6. 2018-09 Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4100347)
  7. 2018-09 Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4457146)

6. After finishing these update it required a restart. I restart the PC and get WDF_VIOLATION.

7. Not possible to repair windows, not possible to go back to a previous restore point.

1. Was your intent to install Windows without the additional HP-provided software?

Did you try using "Add/Remove Programs" to delete specific software?

Did you run the HP-provided program to fill a USB memory-stick with the "factory-image" of the disk-drive?

2. Some of that alleged "bloatware" is useful:

1. HP Client Security Manager - possibly, an anti-virus-and-more package?
  2. HP Connection Optimizer
  3. HP Device Access Manager
  4. HP Documentation - possibly useful
  5. HP ePrint SW - possibly useful for directly printing to wireless HP printers
  6. HP ESU for Microsoft Windows 10
  7. HP Hotkey Support - support for extra "buttons" on your HP-provided keyboard
  8. HP JumpStart Bridge
  9. HP JumpStart Lauch
  10. HP Notifications - possibly useful to receive applicable Security Bulletins from HP
  11. HP Support Assistant - possibly useful for adding HP-specific device-drivers & BIOS updates to a "generic" installation of Windows
  12. HP Support Solutions Framewaaaork - required, if you use HP Support Assistant
  13. HP Sure Click
  14. HP Sure Recover
  15. HP Sure Run
  16. HP Velocity
  17. and much more

3. OK, if all you want is the "generic" Windows 10, without any of the HP-specific device-drivers.

It would have been helpful to download & install the HP Support Assistant, for the HP-specific device-drivers (not necessarily any "applications").

4. You needed that LAN driver (Intel I219 NIC Drivers for DTO Microsoft Win 10 -64bit sp88149) for your HP network adapter, because the "generic" Windows did not include that software.

5. after this Windows Update is starting to download and install 7 updates:

1. Definition Update for Windows Defender Antivirus KB2267602 (definition 1.277.871.0)
  2. HP Development Company, L.P. - Keyboard - 7/11/2018 12:00:00 AM - 11.0.3.1
  3. 2018-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64 based Systems (KB4462919)
  4. Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - October 2018 (KB890830)
  5. Update for Adobe Flash Player for Winodws 10 version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4462930)
  6. 2018-09 Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4100347)
  7. 2018-09 Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4457146)

That "M.R.T." is part of Microsoft's monthly monitoring of what computer-viruses are commonly found on Windows 7/8/10 computers.  Microsoft does publish a summary of what M.R.T. finds.

Unlike in earlier versions of Windows, updates to Adobe Flash Player are delivered through Windows Update, rather than being an "independent" update (like Apple iTunes is). This is part of "Windows as a service" philosophy, to (painlessly?) keep users' computers as up-to-date as possible.

6. It was unfortunate that you did not reboot after installing the device-driver for the network-adapter, before connecting through that adapter to the Internet, and before running Windows Update.

7. Sigh.  Windows Update should have created a "checkpoint" (via System Restore) before making any changes. What happened when you tried to use System Restore to roll-back to that checkpoint?

HP Recommended

Hey guys, to fix the WDF_VIOLATION BSOD, you will need to boot into the recovery enviroment, open CMD. Then you will need to ensure you know which partition your Windows is installed on. Then you will need to rename or delete the "HpqKbFiltr.sys" driver and once you've done that you can restart and Windows will boot sucessfully.This took us an entire day to locate and fix but it was well worth it, we really didn't like the idea of remaging every PC with an image created pre-broken update. Hopefully this fix works for you also.

Good luck, Goddo

HP Recommended

Thank you for your answer.
But if the PC is already in the blue screen I can't find the file (hpqKbFiltr.sys) in the directory in CMD. 
Does anyone have a tip?

HP Recommended

I hav to get a old ps/2 keyborad to boot. then remove the kb driver, and  reboot.

then plug the mouse and hp keyboard, wait windows install new drivers and boot sucessfuly.

I'll try to remove the sys file  - I' have 10 machines -´till now - with that problem. 😞

HP Recommended

Cheers Goddo this worked!!!! I had to plug the hdd into another pc and navigate to windows\sytem32\drivers to remove file HpqKbfiltr.sys

HP Recommended

If the directory is deleted, Windows automatically resumes the package.
The 35-day suspension of the Windows update does not solve the problem either.
HP Recommended

Goddo2305 You are a genius. You fix my issue thanks a lot you deserve thumbs up and Accept As Solution.

On my hand I decide to delete HpqKbFiltr.sys another way. I hope I will help someone who's having difficulty to found and navigate in the command prompt. 

I download Hiren’s BootCD PE x64 (v1.0.1) – ISO "it's free" https://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

and use Rufus-3.3.exe "also free" https://rufus.akeo.ie/ to create a small bootable OS (Windows 10 Hiren's Boot Version) working good in UEFI . I use a Kingston Datatraveler G4 USB 3.0 16go to do this.  I press F9 to select bootable devide. Then in the OS I search HpqKbFiltr.sys and he found the file in the directory C:\Windows\System32\drivers I delete it and restart the system. The computer is working, no more bluescreen.

I hope HP and Microsoft will talk to each other and remove the Keyboard driver from windows update.

HP Recommended

Be aware that when windows provides rescue mode command prompt sometimes it doesn't map the local hdd drives like they where on Windows, so C:\ might be D:\ etc... usually the command prompt drops you in x:\Windows\system32 most of the time this is the recovery area, sometimes the file (hpqKbFiltr.sys) might be there, sometimes it will be on a diferente drive, look around, this solution worked for me. Cheers.

HP Recommended

Thanks Godoo that work for me on  HP 800 G3 TWR.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.