Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP EliteDesk 800 35W G2 Desktop Mini PC (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Using HPIA version 5.1.4 I've noticed that the utility doesn't appear to list BIOS updates for a number of different model devices that definitely should have an available update. After scanning the target computer a list of out of date drivers and software appear. I'm expecting to see a BIOS update as well but it doesn't appear in the list. Curiously, if "none" is selected from the drop down menu, all items in the list get deselected, however there is still a number "1" next to the download indicating that something is still selected. If I continue with the download at this point, it does actually appear download the "missing" BIOS Softpaq. I have a powershell script I use for mass updating, that queries the list generated by the analysis to pinpoint the most recent BIOS, but since the update doesn't appear, it mistakenly reports that there is nothing available. In the past, I can recall the BIOS update appearing in the list on the same devices, so obviously something appears to have changed. Unfortunately I don't know exactly when it did.

Also, it's important to note that not every device is affected. The BIOS appears under recommendations as expected on some newer devices such as the x360 G7 1040 notebooks, but on the devices where the issue is occurring, it appears to be reproducible every time. So far, I've verified the issue on both 800 G2 SSF and mini desktops as well as multiple flavors of 800 G3 desktops.

Has anyone else noticed this particular behavior after running the Image Assistant on some of the older models?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Matt3030 -- is some of that software searching for BIOS updates listed as being for the Operating System that your computer (not the target computer) is running?  For example, if there were BIOS updates released when Windows 7 was supported, if you do a query from a computer running Windows 10, no BIOS update might be listed.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the feedback. I thought about that as well but it doesn't seem to be the case. The most recent BIOS updates were released within the last year and the fact that it does actually download and apply them when the download button is pressed tells me that the system is finding the updates even though they are not visible or selectable in the UI. Also, the updates did appear in the recommended list, the way I would expect to see them, on the same model computer months ago. This would have been using a previous version of the HPIA, but I  can't recall now exactly which version it was. It feels like a bug but I want to make sure I wasn't overlooking something simple.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.