cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
Fyffee1984
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Solved!

HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI results

HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-cc598na

Hi, my laptop fell off my bed quite a while ago and came up with an error screen. A friend spoke me through running a hardware diagnostics test and it came back with the following:

Testing drive: 1

SMART check: passed

Long DST: Failed

Failure id: QE1XP9-9528G1-MFPW2J-61DR03

Product id: 3QU62EA#ABU

Hard drive 1

Current version: 1. 18. 0. 0 -BIOS

It then lists a webpage to go to which came back as not working : www.hp.com/go/techcenter/PCDiags 

Then there is an option to go back to the main menu.

If someone could decipher this for me I would be very grateful. Basically I would like to know:

1 - can a picture like me fix it with simple instructions?

2 - if not, is the cost of getting it fixed going to be more than the laptop is worth seeing as I got this in 2018?

3 - is it a total dud now and shall I just smash the hard drive to smithereens and bin it?

Thanks in advance for any help received.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
itsmyname
Level 9
3,596 3,559 138 427
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The drive-test that takes a "long" time (30 minutes or more) does more testing than a "short" test.

DST == Drive Status Test

Similar to driving your automobile with a bald tire, your disk-drive is in imminent danger of a "blow-out".

If you have some skills with extracting the disk-drive from inside the laptop, and connecting it to a desktop computer, it is possible for you to do all the "labour":

1. power-off the laptop
  2. disconnect its power-supply
  3. remove the battery
  4. disassemble to remove the disk-drive
  5. connect the disk-drive as a "secondary" disk-drive in a desktop computer
  6. purchase a brand-new 2.5-inch disk-drive
  7. connect it as a "tertiary" disk-drive in a desktop computer.
  8. use free "disk-cloning" software to try to read everything from the laptop's disk-drive, and to write everything, block-by-block, onto the brand-new disk-drive. Maybe, use "Macrium Reflect".
  9. Connect the new disk-drive to your laptop, and re-assemble it.
  10. Reconnect the battery & AC power, and start-up your laptop.
  11. If it works fine, then, after a week, you can "smash the hard drive to smithereens", but I recommend that you just set it aside, for "just in case" reasons.

Note that the above depends on the disk-drive having enough residual "health" to read everything from it.

If it has much less "health", you may be able to connect the disk-drive to a desktop computer, and copy only your documents/E-mail/music.

Total cost: your time and the cost of a new disk-drive.

Of course, if you take it to a computer-technician, they should do something similar.

In that case, total cost: $50 to $100 for the technician's time & skills, plus the cost of a new disk-drive.

So, it's your call -- under $200 for the work, or $500 to $1500 to buy a new laptop.

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
2 REPLIES 2
itsmyname
Level 9
3,596 3,559 138 427
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The drive-test that takes a "long" time (30 minutes or more) does more testing than a "short" test.

DST == Drive Status Test

Similar to driving your automobile with a bald tire, your disk-drive is in imminent danger of a "blow-out".

If you have some skills with extracting the disk-drive from inside the laptop, and connecting it to a desktop computer, it is possible for you to do all the "labour":

1. power-off the laptop
  2. disconnect its power-supply
  3. remove the battery
  4. disassemble to remove the disk-drive
  5. connect the disk-drive as a "secondary" disk-drive in a desktop computer
  6. purchase a brand-new 2.5-inch disk-drive
  7. connect it as a "tertiary" disk-drive in a desktop computer.
  8. use free "disk-cloning" software to try to read everything from the laptop's disk-drive, and to write everything, block-by-block, onto the brand-new disk-drive. Maybe, use "Macrium Reflect".
  9. Connect the new disk-drive to your laptop, and re-assemble it.
  10. Reconnect the battery & AC power, and start-up your laptop.
  11. If it works fine, then, after a week, you can "smash the hard drive to smithereens", but I recommend that you just set it aside, for "just in case" reasons.

Note that the above depends on the disk-drive having enough residual "health" to read everything from it.

If it has much less "health", you may be able to connect the disk-drive to a desktop computer, and copy only your documents/E-mail/music.

Total cost: your time and the cost of a new disk-drive.

Of course, if you take it to a computer-technician, they should do something similar.

In that case, total cost: $50 to $100 for the technician's time & skills, plus the cost of a new disk-drive.

So, it's your call -- under $200 for the work, or $500 to $1500 to buy a new laptop.

View solution in original post

Fyffee1984
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. It is really useful and easy to understand (for a luddite! :)).

When lockdown is over a friend who does the IT at my former employer will come and see if he can fix it so I shouldn't find myself spending too much. I'm not bothered about saving my documents etc as most of them were on a cloud. To get the laptop to factory reset so I can resell, put towards the cost of a new laptop will be good enough.

Thanks again for your help!

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation