Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 590-p0032nan 6530HP Pavilion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Having had HDD failure and in the process of replacing it, I need to boot the system in legacy bios mode before Windows will install to the disk. The bios is revision 843B F.11. However, there are no options within the bios which allow the switch to legacy bios.

So I thought a bios upgrade might help. As there is no OS on the disk I have to create a flash disk on another computer. I follow the instructions and I should see a dialog box giving me the options to Update (this PC), Create a USB flash drive or Copy the bios image. This dialog does not appear. Executing the file simply unpacks it to create a .exe file on the USB flash drive, not a .bin, so I can not perform the bios update.

Any advice would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

SOLVED: I remade the USB Windows Installation flash drive and it worked first time. I can only imagine that the files in the flash drive were old and out of date. So I don't need to update the bios and the system is working AOK again. Thanks for all help.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

Why can't you install W10 in EFI mode?

You should be able to if you boot from a USB flash drive.

If you need to boot from a DVD, there should be a secure boot setting in the BIOS you can disable.

HP Recommended

Any attempt to install W10 to the new HDD results in error "Windows can not be installed to this  disk etc..." Having researched, there seem to be two solutions:

- convert disk to MBR (this fails to solve the problem)

- boot the system with bios legacy (not UEFI).

As there is no way that I can see of booting with bios legacy, I'm stuck!

Thanks for your interest.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

A very easy problem to fix.  You don't need to convert the disk to GPT or MBR.

Just let Windows do it for you after you clean the disk.

Watch this video...

Use of Diskpart to Format (Clean) or Wipe (Clean All) Partitions a Drive Before Windows Installation...

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul. But I fear I have already done everything in the video with diskpart but will watch the video in case I missed something.

I can't let Windows do everything for me - I can't install Windows to do it! 

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

SOLVED: I remade the USB Windows Installation flash drive and it worked first time. I can only imagine that the files in the flash drive were old and out of date. So I don't need to update the bios and the system is working AOK again. Thanks for all help.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad you were able to get W10 reinstalled.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.