Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion p6616f-b p6616f
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello, my product is the HP Pavillion p6616f-b pc bundle and I am trying to use the HP Recovery manager to erase everything and go toa factory out of box state, I had been able to open it once, but I dont remember how, and i know the key is f11 but it does not work, it does say press f11 on the bottom for recovery when turning on but it wont load, i know it does not load because it does not load, and like when i press esc key it says loading boot menu, but when i press f11 it does not say loading recovery manager, please do not recommend me to click start and look fot it. AS OF NOW, my windows is unbootable and i am unable to get into the actual operating system desktop so that is not a option, even though i cannot go into the desktop, i was able to load the hp recovery manager just days ago, and somehow i cannot now, i have tried inserting my usb windows 7 to repair/reinstall but it doesnt load hp recovery manager.

bottom line: looking to load hp recovery manager but i pressed the f11 key and it does not load

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello, does anyone know what to do when the f11 recovery wont load by pressing f11? i can see my hp computer still has the hp recovery partition active

HP Recommended

@mapledownloader

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand you are unable to use the HP Recovery partition (F11),

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you ensure the drive is active, if you've made any hardware changes to your device after you purchased the PC?

Here's what you need to do:

You may try this option given below in case this does not work i would request you to call HP support and order for a recovery disc if the below doesn't work: Click here for details.

Activate Recovery partition

1.Right-click on "Computer" icon and select manage.
2.This will launch the Microsoft Management Console.
3.On the left side of the MMC, click on "Disk Management" and it will show you all of the partitions.
4.Right-click on the "HP Recovery" partition and select "Mark as Active Partition."
5.When the warning prompt appears, select "Yes" - Reboot and it will automatically boot into the Recovery Manager (
without pressing F11).

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hey, I cannot access the desktop it is currently non bootable to the actual desktop so I cannot click my computer and do those directions, I have also tried marking partition as active through command prompt by select disk 0 and select partition XYZ for the primary and logical hard drive and to no avail f11 recovery won't activate, I got it to work and decided to turn off the computer and I don't remember how and now I annoy activate f11 recovery
HP Recommended

@mapledownloader

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

If the computer isn't booting into windows anymore, 

the best thing to do, is to obtain a recovery media and reinstall the OS using the same:

Click here for instructions on obtaining one, if you didn't create a recovery media on your device (while it had been working).

Let me know how that pans out

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon,

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' as it would help the community gain more knowledge,

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I made my own windows 7 usb through windows 7 usb tool and it won't do much, it says that windows cannot re initialize something, could you check if mine has recovery usb? Pacillion p6616f-b bundle
HP Recommended
It says error BCD boot configuration black screen, how do I get to recovery without f11? I can see that the hp recovery is still there
HP Recommended

Hi

I am not sure this is what you want...

W7 Boot Mgr.png

as it does not directly address your F11 problem, but has a mention of BCD at the bottom.

If in doubt please ask.

HP Recommended
Thank you, I have tried this, but there is no boot record for it to fix since all my windows installations are the windows.old there is no active windows boot record and when I use the usb and try to install on a partition, it does no work, it says windows cannot install on this partition or any partition i googled it and people said to format the disk and it would work but I don't want to do this because I have data on there that I need to be backed up but am not sure how since I cannot even get to the desktop and I don't want it to format the hard disk because of the hp recovery partition, I want it to still be there, and the thing is, the hp recovey partition is there but the f11 won't activate it, I don't remember how i activated the oh recovery but I did and now it won't work, any idea?
HP Recommended

Hi

Yes a couple of ideas.

One is the Command Prompt part of my picture.

It shows that by using XCOPY you can extract the contents of the C:\, you need to be specific as to the amount you want limited by the size of your USB backup stick.  I would think a 128 Gb would be the minimum.

Also as it is dos based you may be able to goto the Recovery partition, which could be D or E or F and see if there is a executable file, like setup.exe you could run.  Even xcopy it off.

THE ANSWER IS COMMAND LINE BASED.

OR (based on your belief there is data there to recover)

I would use clonezilla myself and just clone the whole of my recovery drive, which I did on this laptop.

I would Gparted and shrink the C: without damaging the contents, and know this takes a coupla hours, and then make a new clean partition and install there.

Even better I would use Knoppix to sort out the partitioning, copying etc.

If in doubt please ask.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.