Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario SR5109UK Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows Vista

I have an old PC that I have had for around 4 years and I thought I would try HP Refresh, problem is that it won't load, it will just say "Loading HP Refresh" and will keep going on and off. Here's what is happening.This is what I am getting.This is what I am getting.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@dugganrouthorn5 

First off, this model PC was released in 2007 -- which makes it more like 13 years old than 4.

Second, with a PC that old, the hard drive has almost certainly failed -- which is why the HP Refresh is not completing.  The files it needs have probably become corrupt due to the drive.

To check the drive you have to follow these steps:
1) Press Esc key repeatedly, several times a second, while rebooting the laptop. Do NOT hold the key down, just press it over and over.
2) Eventually, you will see an HP Startup Menu
3) Press the Function key for testing the hard drive (usually F2) and let it run.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I'm sorry if I didn't give you a thumbs up the keyboard I'm using doesn't have a function key, I tried pressing F2 but nothing happens. After pressing the Esc key. What can I do? I just get a boot device menu.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.