Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
27-a010t Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The HP Support Assistant wants me to install new BIOS SSID 9187.  I have done so 3 times, but the Support Assistant still wants me to do it again.  This makes me question the other suggestions of the Support Assistany.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Alan59 

The HP Support Assistant is confused (the HPSA database that reads this information on your computer is incorrect).

A complete removal of the HP Support Assistant and its companion software (HP Solutions Framework) might fix the problem. 

1. Uninstall both softwares
  2. Restart
  3. Install a fresh copy of the HP software (which will install the Framework)
  4. Restart

Download, Save, Install the latest supported HP version of the HP Support Assistant

Website / Download

HP Support Assistant

• After download: If you have ‘Admin’ control, you may highlight the package and “double-click” to install it, else Right-Click, select run as Administrator
  • After the software is installed:  Restart the computer and log in

Optional - After the software is installed, PIN the program to your Windows Start Screen

Windows key (Start) > list "All apps" > open category "H"

Click open category HP Help and Support

Right-Click on HP Support Assistant PIN to Start

Help and Troubleshooting for HPSA

READ:  Get help and Learn about the HPSA software

HP PCs - Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 8, 7)

HP PCs - Troubleshooting HP Support Assistant - Windows 8.x and Windows 10

If that does not fix it, you will have to ignore or remove the BIOS update from the list - the HPSA is not BIOS Update friendly at times.  If the software won't cooperate, just don't do what it says.  The joys of being in charge...

=======================================================================

My Opinion on the subject...

Only update the BIOS when you have a reason to do so (for example, something is not working or you have received an Alert from HP that the BIOS update is critical). 

It is better to only update the BIOS manually - that is, run this fussy and potentially dangerous update when you want, when you are prepared to do so, and only after you have protected the most critical of your data (make backups to cloud, external drive, "something" besides leaving data sitting on the computer).  Why?  Because sometimes (even) when you do everything right, things can go sideways.

Reminder – Manually Update the BIOS

How to install BIOS Updates:

Always connect the computer to AC Power and leave the power connected during the entire BIOS update procedure.

Select the option to manually install the BIOS update.

HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System)

HP Desktop PCs - Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System)

Open HPSA Software

Settings > Set to “Notify” as opposed to “Auto-Update”

Save Changes > Restart the computer and log in

Open HPSA

Check for Updates > Use the list to determine candidates for update

• Click on each update in the list to see a short description of that package
  • If BIOS is offered, simply set to “ignore” or otherwise remove this update from list of potential updates
  • If desired:  Install other HP software and updates using HPSA or manually install those updates

Check Current BIOS version

Control Panel > icon view > Administrative Tools > System Information

System Summary - Check the information next to BIOS Version / Date 

NOTE for those reading >>> Notebooks and the BIOS Update

If you cannot stand to leave the HP Support Assistant in "check but don't update", be extra careful to keep the computer plugged into a power source.  Having the battery die during a BIOS update will likely kill your computer.  Dead.

Once the BIOS update is "ignored" or removed from the HPSA list of potential updates, it may not return - or will it?  Check on occasion to make sure the Updates are doing what you want and expect.

Reference and Resources – Places to find help and learn about your Device

Clarification of terms and "what the device can do" (Specifications)

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Pavilion All-in-One - 27-a010t CTO

OR

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your device

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I did exactly as described: uninstalled the Support Assistant,  restarted and reinstalled it.  The reinstalled assistant still told me to download and install the BIOS update (installed 3 times already), so again I did as instructed, deleted the instruction to install the BIOS.  

There are several more download instructions: Hardware Diagnostic,  Recovery Manager Update,  System Event Utility, CyberLink Power Media Player. Intel WLAN Driver,  Realtek Ethernet Controller Drivers, Realtek Ethernet Controller Drivers (DTD).  I am wondering whether to download these.  It is rather disconcerting to be informed that it is best to disregard the Support Assistant in regard to the BIOS update.

drivers

real

tek 

HP Recommended

@Alan59 

Keep in mind that my opinions are just that.  This includes my suggestion to manually install BIOS updates.  I have learned to be more conservative about this subject than some. 

I was hoping that uninstalling both the HP Support Assistant and the HP Solution Framework would settle the HPSA And stop the constant reminder to install the BIOS.  It appears, at least for the moment, the choice is to ignore the persistent BIOS update reminder.

All the other updates can be installed at your discretion.  My refusal to tell you you must do so is deliberate.  I would update.  I keep my Workstation updated.  

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I followed the instructions robotically and  very literally, that is , uninstalled the HP Support Assistant, but not the  HP Solution Framework.  Too late now to see if removing both might have worked.  I will go ahead and perform the other recommended actions I listed.  I  just needed a nudge in that direction.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.