Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Z440 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I got a critical alert for the side-channel analysis method which indicated that I should update the bios.  I downloaded the bios SP84167 and used a flash drive to perform the update using M60_0239.BIN.  It appered to update successfully, but when the computer rebooted, my HP Z Turbo Drive Quad Pro solid state drive was missing.  It no longer shows up as a drive in Windows device manager. 

I have a Z turbo G2 drive as my boot drive and that does work.  And, when I look at drives in the bios it shows three NVMe 512 GB modules.  My G2 Quad has two modules, so all three are showing up and the single module G2 drive is working.

My Turbo Quad Pro with two modules was set up in raid zero.  I wonder if it lost its raid setting during the bios update and that is why it is not showing up as a drive in windows(?).  Unfortunately, I don't see a way to get it working again.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This is so odd.  Yesterday after the bios update the Z Turbo Quad Pro drive was missing in the OS. I rebooted a couple of times and it was still missing, so I did a harddrive test in the bios.  The bios showed one NVMe module.  

I unplugged the computer, opened the case and made sure everythin seemed ok inside.  When I plugged it back in and rebooted, the bios showed all three NVMe modules, but the OS still didn't recognize the HP Z Turbo Quad Pro drive (2 modules striped in Windows).  I must have rebooted at least a half-dozen times trying to troubleshoot the issue.  After recogzing that Disk Managment showed it as a missing/failed disk, I made my second post and moved to my laptop for the rest of the day.  

Today I rebooted the workstation and it hung the first time I booted it, so I did a hard reset by holding down the power key, waited 10 seconds (a gave a little prayer that my workstation wasn't fully bricked  and when it rebooted, all the the drives were there. 

Windows seems to have recognized that something was amiss and is currently resyncing my mirrored drive.  I plan to back up the data on everything while the machine is working.  I sincerely hope that the Turbo Quad Pro drive sticks around because I installed a bunch of applications on there.

Moral of the story (maybe?): Make sure you have backed up everything before doing a bios update.  If you do lose drives, consider unplugging the computer and/or trying a hard reset(?).

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Update.  Yes, the bios upate appeared to do something to the drive so that windows no longer recognizes it.  In Windows Disk Managment, it now shows the two 'modules' as missing and failed. Failed_Striped_array_after_bios_update.png

Does anyone know if there is a way to rebuild the stripped array without losing the data that was on there?  Please help, I really need the info on that disk.

ps. I tried reactivating the disks to no avail.  They are still missing to the OS.

HP Recommended

This is so odd.  Yesterday after the bios update the Z Turbo Quad Pro drive was missing in the OS. I rebooted a couple of times and it was still missing, so I did a harddrive test in the bios.  The bios showed one NVMe module.  

I unplugged the computer, opened the case and made sure everythin seemed ok inside.  When I plugged it back in and rebooted, the bios showed all three NVMe modules, but the OS still didn't recognize the HP Z Turbo Quad Pro drive (2 modules striped in Windows).  I must have rebooted at least a half-dozen times trying to troubleshoot the issue.  After recogzing that Disk Managment showed it as a missing/failed disk, I made my second post and moved to my laptop for the rest of the day.  

Today I rebooted the workstation and it hung the first time I booted it, so I did a hard reset by holding down the power key, waited 10 seconds (a gave a little prayer that my workstation wasn't fully bricked  and when it rebooted, all the the drives were there. 

Windows seems to have recognized that something was amiss and is currently resyncing my mirrored drive.  I plan to back up the data on everything while the machine is working.  I sincerely hope that the Turbo Quad Pro drive sticks around because I installed a bunch of applications on there.

Moral of the story (maybe?): Make sure you have backed up everything before doing a bios update.  If you do lose drives, consider unplugging the computer and/or trying a hard reset(?).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.