Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Desktop - 460-p214
Microsoft Windows 11

My HP Desktop will no longer boot at all after Windows update. Passes all HP diagnostics, which indicate no OS found.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Did you have win11 running OK before the update?

Did the problem occur with the update from 10 to 11?

After it powers on, does it show a screen where there are options such as doing a repair, un-installing an update or picking a restore point?

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

The Recovery Environment reports no OS found. Passes all HP diagnostics. No sign of Windows. I believe it was running Windows 10 at the time of the failure.

It was running fine, and then everything vanished.

Thx.

HP Recommended

@hlawka101 wrote:

The Recovery Environment reports no OS found. Passes all HP diagnostics. No sign of Windows. I believe it was running Windows 10 at the time of the failure.

It was running fine, and then everything vanished.

You listed windows 11 as the OS so I assume the upgrade from win10 to 11 failed.

Did you want to install windows 11?  How important is getting 11?  The best and surest install, IMHO, is  a clean install where you download a copy of windows 11 and let it replace everything.  You then have to add office and other licensed software back in as well as restore your documents and other important files from a backup.  Possibly some specialized drivers may need to be obtained from HP that are unique to your system (game hub, sensor and brightness control)

Try the following to see if there is an OS present

1  Boot into the BIOS using ESC or F10 and verify that Windows Boot Manager is selected as the boot device. Turn on "secure boot" and disable "legacy boot" if those options are present.

If windows does not boot then look for the following

BeemerBiker_0-1653569652369.png

Try Startup Repair first

Then try System Restore

You may see "Uninstall Updates" instead of previous build so try that also.

I assume there is no image backup available, but now is the time to use that backup if none of the above work.

If none of the above work then window 10 or 11 needs to be installed or recovered.

Post back here and let us know if you want 10 or 11 and need to save your documents as well.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.