Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP p7-1423
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP p7-1423w windows 10 just stopped booting, no use of keyboard,front light quit working and no monitor. 

Sometimes it would boot, 4 days ago now the problems above are going on. So, anyone having this problem?

Sure could use some help. only thing changed was when I first got it with OS8 and went to 10 and has been working 

fine for last 3 years, until now.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Your PC is approaching the eight year mark.

Have you tried any troubleshooting?

Possible causes are:

1. Check AC outlet for power, reseat/replace AC power cable to the PC

2. Power supply or power button on the tower

3. Peripheral device connected to the PC

4. Component or cable connections to the MB

5. Motherboard or CPU

You would have to methodically reduce the PC to a minimum configuration to find the cause. You may need known good replacement parts during this process.

Given the age of your PC it is usually less frustrating and more cost effective to have a local PC Tech take a look if basic troubleshooting does not isolate the cause..

Regards 

HP Recommended

The computer powers on and all fans are working. I have cleaned this puter every 6 months since I have had it.

When I hit the front power button I see the HDD light come on for just a flash and then nothing. I have disconnected key board,

monitor, and all USB items I had hooked up. I have canned aired all the inside, plugged and replugged all revelent connections.

I tried all the mentioned items you listed. Doubled checked connectors I disconnected ti insure they were seated correctly.

If the HDD is bad would it cause such a problem by not booting up?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Okay that's a start. You need known good replacement components to check some factory parts for failure.

Try different: keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

Try different USB ports for keyboard and mouse before disconnecting front panel USB. You need the monitor to check for a POST. Try on board graphics if you use a discrete graphics card or try a discrete, legacy graphics card if you use on board graphics.

I would look at RAM, HDD and CD/DVD drive, any add in PCIe cards, front USB connections (including the card reader), and finally the power supply. You would need a known good stick of RAM and a good PSU to check these components. There is a very good chance the power supply is in trouble.

You work your way down to the CPU and the MB. CPU failure is very unusual but can occur. You would need a good CPU to check this part.

Your choice on where to start.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.