Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 23-q112nb
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I tried to perform a HP system recovery for my system.

This seems to go well and I reach the last screen saying "Herstelvoorbereiding is gereed" (Recovery preparation is complete):2020-09-28 21_47_28-Clipboard.png

(I copied this from the HP forum, since my screen is in Dutch)

When I click on "Continue", I get in a loop.

According to this post https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03489643 after clicking on continue I should be in step 13: Recovery Manager reformats the Windows partition and reinstalls the original software.

Hower I get again the screen where I have to select the keyboard layout and the next screen I have the choice to shut down the PC or to go to 'PC Troubleshooting"; if I click the latter option I can choose bewteen "Advanced options" and "Recovery Manager". The only useful thing I can do there is to restart the system recovery, so I'm in a loop.

I think I need recovery disks, but I cannot run windows. I do have access to the system prompt (I can see the X-drive where obviously the recovery should start from).

I checked the HP cloud recovery tool, but my system is not supported, so I did not try that.

Any help is appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

It looks like you have covered all bases, good work.

W10 should activate as the OEM product key from HP is in the BIOS. 

You may lose some HP value added software. But you can get HP drivers, if needed, from the link in my previous post.

Get back to the forum on how it goes.

Regards

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Are you doing the recovery using the HDD/SSD HP Recovery partition or HP USB/DVD recovery media you created?

The disk recovery partition or external HP Recovery media could be bad.

You could also have a bad HDD or a different component that is failing such as a memory module.

I would test hardware as follows: Start the PC, tap "ESC", select "F2", run system tests to check hardware.

Another option to test things is to try a W10 clean installation by creating W10 installation media. The hardware should be okay if you can install W10 clean.

You can make W10 installation media at this (Link). Try  a clean install to see if you get any installation errors or a W10 installation failure.

I don't see a HP Recovery media purchase option at this (Link), so this is not an option. I also don't see a HP Cloud Recovery option at the above link.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks for your answer!

I'm doing the recovery using the HDD HP recovery partition. Unfortunately I did not make a separate USB recovery media.

However I did check the hardware before I made the recovery, using the diagnostic tools. I ran the extensive HDD tests 4 times without any error (during +/-8 hours).

Thanks for the link.

I will try the clean install of windows 10. I hope I do not need a serial, because I don't have one: the computer came with a previous version of windows and I used the free update.

I'll keep you posted if this works!

Peter

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

It looks like you have covered all bases, good work.

W10 should activate as the OEM product key from HP is in the BIOS. 

You may lose some HP value added software. But you can get HP drivers, if needed, from the link in my previous post.

Get back to the forum on how it goes.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hello,

I finished the installation of a clean windows  and indeed W10 is activated (I was not sure about that). It took about one hour, which was also much faster as I thought.

Actually, I like the clean install, so I will not install the HP software.

The basic thing is that the computer works again.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Regards

Peter

HP Recommended

Hi Peter,

You're very welcome.

Good to see your PC is running again.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.