Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy Desktop h8 1534
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello. My hard drive suddenly failed. When I try to boot up, I get the diagnose pc message then I get sent to menu where I can restore, refresh, boot with other media. I am using Windows 8.1 and was able to back up my files after HD failed to an external HD but I had never created a recovery disk like I should have. Can someone please give step by step instructions as to how I can use the system files I backed up to use as a repair/recovery disk or can you tell me step by step what other options are available? I see all these recovery options online saying to boot to BIOS or change disk order but although I'm ok at software issues, I'm not good at hardware issues like this. I've downloaded several recovery software remedies but I cant figure out how to get the PC to recognize and boot to them because I keep getting a message saying that there is no disk to boot to. My HD is a Seagate. I know I will have to buy a new HD so if that is the case, can someone explain what I need to do once I buy the new drive step by step from installation to reinstalling my backed up files. Your help is so greatly appreciated as I have so much info loaded on this drive that I can't lose. Thank you!!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@efrain2 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the computer hard drive is a failure.

HP will not support to back up the personal data. You have to contact local stores to take the backup of your personal data.

Please perform the hard drive test and let us know.

1) Shutdown the computer.  

2) Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears.  

3) Press F2 once.  

4) Go to the Component test.  

5) From the list, run the Hard Drive (extensive) test.  

If the hard drive test is passed, You have to reinstall the operating system.

Please refer to the following link to perform the cloud recovery.

Please refer to the below link to perform the recovery using the recovery media.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04758961

Note: performing the recovery you will lose the personal data and installed the application.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Since you have a tower desktop, replacing the HDD will be easy.

As for the recovery, you have two options:

1. Call HP and ask for a set of recovery media (charges will apply)

2. Download the 'vanilla' Windows 10 media creation tool from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

This will allow you to create Windows 10 install files on an 8GB+ USB stick. You can then boot off of it using F9 during boot.

Because your Windows 8 product key is digital and embedded in BIOS, you don't need to know it. The Windows installer will read it and install the relevant version.

Once Windows is installed, activated and updates run, you'll then be able to copy off your data from the backup drive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.