Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Just last week I got myself a refurbished HP XW 6600 Workstation equiped with dual Xeon E5450 Quad Cores processors. I played with Windows 2008 R2 Server Evaluation edition and was able to run the Hyper V platform and run on top a Windows 8 Pro Evaluation version and an Fedora Linux version.

Just this morning I have upgraded from Windows 7 Pro x64 to Windows 8 Pro x64, with hardware virtualization enabled in the BIOS.

The Hyper V platform worked fine in Windows 2008 R2 Server but on my fresh install of Windows 8 Pro (not the evaluation edition but a proper licensed one)

The feature Hyper V Platform is in grey.

If you move with you mouse a message pops up :

Hyper-V cannot be installed : The processor does not have SLAT (second level address translation capabilities. My HP has got two Xeon E5450 Quad Core processors.

What is going on here.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The solution... I 've found it myself:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/7704.client-hyper-v-survival-guide.aspx

At first the message on the internet is that a client Hyper V on a Windows 8 machine requires a CPU that has SLAT (Second Level Address Translation) capabilities. Well in my case I have a HP XW6600 workstation with two Xeon Quad Cores - E5450 and how wonderful these are... no SLAT.

The best way I found that works is the link above.

What you have to do is go to the command line by typing in the Search Charm (Windows key + W) and search for CMD.exe and then run as administrator.

Then go to the command line - to the C prompt and type in there Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:microsoft-Hyper-V -All and press [enter]

Your system will want to reboot, reboot and check the Windows Feature set and you will see the checkbox ticked and no longer grey.

Tataaa Spooon

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Is there not a workaround for this processor under Windows 8 to make the Hyper V Platform accept this processor.

HP Recommended

The solution... I 've found it myself:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/7704.client-hyper-v-survival-guide.aspx

At first the message on the internet is that a client Hyper V on a Windows 8 machine requires a CPU that has SLAT (Second Level Address Translation) capabilities. Well in my case I have a HP XW6600 workstation with two Xeon Quad Cores - E5450 and how wonderful these are... no SLAT.

The best way I found that works is the link above.

What you have to do is go to the command line by typing in the Search Charm (Windows key + W) and search for CMD.exe and then run as administrator.

Then go to the command line - to the C prompt and type in there Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:microsoft-Hyper-V -All and press [enter]

Your system will want to reboot, reboot and check the Windows Feature set and you will see the checkbox ticked and no longer grey.

Tataaa Spooon

HP Recommended

The  solution also worked on my Windows 10 computer that is running on a HP Z2620 Workstation.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.