Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
M01-0024
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

On Thursday the 14th I came home from work to find my new, less than 3 months old, HP M01-0024 desktop PC with the BSD, I tried to go into safe mode but that failed, so I opted to reset keeping my files,  this initially seemed to work for about 30 minutes and the BSD was back. Once again I reset PC, but this time I did a "clean" re-install of Windows from the recovery partition, that seemed to work until I work up this morning to find once again my PC with the BSD. Both times I got the same error code "KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED". Not sure what is causing the problem,  This is getting quite frustrating as I don't know what to do. Should I have HP replace the unit, or try something else first?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@eks1910 

How long was it after the reset before the BSOD appeared again? A few hours? Or more likely, a few days?

If the latter, since this issue is often caused by BAD drivers, then it most probably happened because Windows Update forced a driver update on you and that caused the problem.

What I would suggest is the following:

1) Do another clean-install -- as that seemed to work last time and should, again

2) Follow these instructions to make a backup of the WORKING drivers:  https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/68426-backup-restore-device-drivers-windows-10-a.html

3) Consider disabling future driver updates using the information in the link: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/48277-driver-updates-windows-update-enable-disable-windows-10-a.h...

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@eks1910 

How long was it after the reset before the BSOD appeared again? A few hours? Or more likely, a few days?

If the latter, since this issue is often caused by BAD drivers, then it most probably happened because Windows Update forced a driver update on you and that caused the problem.

What I would suggest is the following:

1) Do another clean-install -- as that seemed to work last time and should, again

2) Follow these instructions to make a backup of the WORKING drivers:  https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/68426-backup-restore-device-drivers-windows-10-a.html

3) Consider disabling future driver updates using the information in the link: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/48277-driver-updates-windows-update-enable-disable-windows-10-a.h...

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

So I disabled to Windows automatic driver update, let it run for a couple of days and then the HP Help Center, the app that comes preinstalled that lets you manage your HP PC showing you updates warranty info, etc. showed that I had 5 updates for drivers, thinking that this isn't Windows updating them it's HP, and those items are integrated into my mother board so I figured it would be okay to update them since they are coming from HP specifically for the hardware built in to my PC... I was wrong! Ran them before I went to bed, when I woke up I find my PC with BSD yet again. In case you need to know the drivers were all related to the following, sorry do not have the actual names for each, hind-sight 20/20 and all I didn't think to write them down, but these were what the HP Help Center app listed. Hopefully since you work for HP, I'm assuming you can alert someone. I will do yet another clean re-install of the OS, disable the Windows automatic driver update again, and will not update anything even if HP Help Center is showing it.

AMD Radeon graphics adapter
Realtek Bluetooth adapter
Realtek Audio adapter
Realtek Ethernet adapter
Realtek Wireless network adapter

HP Recommended

WAWood, thanks for the tip letting me know to disable automatic drivers updates in Windows 10, it’s been over two weeks since I had to do my last complete clean re-install of Windows 10, of course even after your advice I made the assumption that the HP Support Assistant app would not steer me wrong into downloading and install driver updates for integrated devices that are built into my mother board. Hopefully someone in HP Support will see this and look into the faulty drivers that their HP Support Assistant app it advising owners to update, has a problem and probably needs to fixed. For now my PC, thankfully, hasn’t had any problems.

HP Support you need to check these out and test in house as to which one or which combination of these is causing the KMODE Exception error on HP Windows 10 PC’s, I don’t have the time, nor do I want to have to continually re-install my OS to figure which one of these is the problem, but I’m guessing you guys can.

AMD Radeon graphics adapter
Realtek Bluetooth adapter
Realtek Audio adapter
Realtek Ethernet adapter
Realtek Wireless network adapter

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.