Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey everyone, I don't know if I can find a solution to this but I've been trying everything and I still can't. 

I have my old hard drive disk that was from my other pc that completely crashed and bought a 3.0 SATA to transfer the files but I can't see the hard drive disk from my old pc. I opened the disk management and see that the hard drive says "Unallocated" then I get a msg saying "the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error"  after trying to initialize it. The size of the disk is 931.51 GB. All I'm trying to do is recover the remaining files if they're still there somehow. I'll be forever grateful for some help, thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Ambientwolf 

Depending on the condition of the drive, you might not even be able to read it -- you certainly won't be able to do that with Windows alone.

All you will be able to recover at best from the drive is personal data. You will not be able to recover settings, website information (including user accounts and passwords) or applications.

You will also need another drive large enough to hold the files and folders you want to recover because you can't recover them to the old drive.

Your best bet for recovering data now is to do the following:
1) Download and install this utility on a working PC http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/story/recover_data_in_3_steps_with_minitool_power_data_recovery_free_...
2) Connect the old drive, the one with the files and folders you want to recover, to the working PC
3) Connect something to that PC to hold the recovered files
4) Run the data recovery utility to see what can be retrieved from the old drive.

If that tool does not find what you need, an alternative is Recuva http://www.piriform.com/recuva

And, if that does not work well, the best tool out there is this one, but only the demo version is free https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I did my attempt, nothing worked. I used many software to try recover files from the disk. I also used the EaseUS Partition Master but I could only see the unallocated disk and I scan the disk but the scanning is taking forever. I have no idea what to do. I might've to just take the drive to a tech to see if its still possible to recover files. Next to the disk on EaseUS it says "Read Only, Logical" 

HP Recommended

@Ambientwolf 

What you experienced with the scanning taking forever is typical of most data recovery apps.

The exception is the last one I mentioned in my reply. -- the one from runtime.  It only takes a few minutes -- and it has saved me more than once.

And besides, if you are trying to recover data, the disk being read-only is not an issue.

HP Recommended

I've tried both steps but none works. The scanning never completes for days and all I get is errors and nothing is found during scanning. Thanks for the help though!

HP Recommended

@Ambientwolf 

I don't know what you mean by "both steps" -- but the tool from Runtime is the only one I've seen that can scan a failing drive in a few second and put up a windows with folders you can select.  But I believe the current version is paid-only; I don't know if they have a trial version anymore.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.