Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop - 15-ef1003ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi I've been having a lot of problems with my touchpad ( I2C HID Device) I've tried disabling it and enabling it but I keep seeing that caution mark. I went into properties to see what is wrong and it said 

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

A request for the HID descriptor failed.

please help me fix this

thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Dont_PontThe fact that the hardware tests failed is a worry. You *could* try doing a factory reset, but I doubt it'll make any difference.

If it's not under warranty any more, then you could try disassembling it, removing the top cover / palm rest and re-seat the ribbon cable for the TP, but again, I've not had much luck in the past with this. Touch pads work or don't, there's not usually an in-between.

If it's under warranty (or if you want to try anyway) call HP and quote the error code or QR code (that the diags gave you) when you call.

Otherwise, get yourself a wireless or Bluetooth mouse instead of the TP.

Sorry.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

HID == Human Interface Device

USB devices, such as the touchpad, are "plug-and-play", but your touchpad is not telling Windows its "description" of what it is (keyboard? webcam? printer? mouse? touchpad?).

Contact HP Parts, and see if they can sell you an "original equipment" replacement. However, disassembling your laptop to physically replace the touchpad is a job that should be outsourced to a certified HP technician.

HP Recommended

This is often a driver issue. It can happen after Windows updates.  If you install the HP update utility and let it do all it's updates, including BIOS it should work.  You could try cleaning it gently, with the battery out and unplugged. Use Isopropyl alcohol, just put a few drops onto the buttons and let sit for half an hour. Clean up after with  a cotton bud.  If the keys are stuck they can cause problems. 

HP Recommended

With the PC off, turn it on and quickly start tapping F2, this will bring you into UEFI diags, go to component tests, then Mouse/Trackpad. Run these tests, if these all pass, then your hardware is OK and we need to look at the drivers / software.

If the tests fail, or if the Mouse / trackpad option does not appear, then that means the system is not detecting the trackpad on a hardware level. This means we need to head in a different direction regarding the diagnosis.

Run this and let us know the results so we can assist further.

HP Recommended

sorry for the late response I'm new to this thing and i didn't relies you guys commented but ill be sure to try this out one more thing how do i exit out of UEFI diags just to be on the safe side

HP Recommended

No problem, good luck with it.

HP Recommended

Hi Hibb1,
I tried all the test that you asked me to do all test failed i was not able to put my cursor in the box it sent me a qr code and a  link but I couldn't copy paste it as my cursor was not working please send me the next instructions thanks!

HP Recommended

You could use a code reader on your phone. Some laptops have touchpad on /off buttons or fn/function keys. Have you looked this up for your model? It may be deactivated it the bios setup either?

HP Recommended

Ok ill be sure to check the function keys on my laptop thanks

HP Recommended

Still no luck do you think doing a reset on my laptop would work? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.