Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ProDesk 400 G3 MT
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I chatted with customer support and requested recover media for my PC so it could be restored back to factory original settings.  I already had DVDs for Windows 10 and 7 Pro that came with the computer.  The recovery media was sent to me but it was just another set of Windows 10 sysem and driver DVDs.  Nothing to restore my recovery partition.  When I went back on he chat and indicated that what was sent will not restore my recovery partition.  I was advised that there was nothing that could restore after it was gone.

On a separate chat about a different HP computer I had under warranty that needed the system rerstored.  The support person sent me a 16 GB flash drive with the windows 10 64 bit recovery software on it.  When I used it on this PC (Pavilion 570-P014 Desktop) it worked perfectly by restoring my reccovery partition and installing windows.    

Why can't a 16 GB Recovery Kit for the HP ProDesk 400 G3 MT be provided.  I would even pay for it.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

> I already had DVDs for Windows 10 and 7 Pro that came with the computer. 

> The recovery media was sent to me, but it was just another set of Windows 10 system and driver DVDs. 

> Nothing to restore my recovery partition.

Are you sure? 

That "recovery media" is supposed to recreate the factory-installed system, including a partition that is the "recovery partition".

Experiment: install a "spare" disk-drive, and boot from those DVDs or the recovery media, and install Windows onto that "spare" disk-drive, to see if it creates the recovery partition.

But, if you have (two copies of) the "recovery media", why do you need to create a "recovery partition" on your disk-drive?

HP Recommended

Hi, @lantig

On your PC's support page, there is an option to create recovery media using the Cloud Recovery Client (under the Software-Restore CD section).

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-prodesk-400-g3-microtower-pc/7638325

You can try that software, and see if it restores the recovery partition.

I have attached the instructions for use below.

If it doesn't create a recovery partition, since the minimum requirement is a 16 GB USB flash drive, certainly this will restore the C:\ drive to its 'out of the box condition' without the need to install any drivers or software.

A standard W10 installation flash drive is only 3.xx GB or so, as is the DVD.

HP Recommended

Hi

If there is no recovery area, and never was because it is a replacement HDD installed then go with Paul on his idea.

If there was a recovery partition and it is just "lost" then it may be possible to recover it, it was deleted and the space overwritten, go with Paul on his idea.

The recovery of the deleted area would be by 3rd party piece of software, it is a Lo-Cost/No-Cost option and the chances of success are Lo-/No-.

https://gparted.org/

GParted is a free partition editor for graphically managing your disk partitions.
With GParted you can resize, copy, and move partitions without data loss, enabling you to:

• Grow or shrink your C: drive
  • Create space for new operating systems
  • Attempt data rescue from lost partitions

I have used it for years, and it is not easy on the eye, but very effective on the hardware.

IT CAN ALSO DO MORE HARM THAN GOOD IN THE HANDS OF A NOVICE.

If in doubt please ask.

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul for the reply.

I installed an unformatted hard drive in the computer and used the DVD that HP Support sent me in what they call a "kit".

The DVD is just a Windows 10 Pro Operating System disc.  After I finished the install; all I had was a drive C: with the standard Microsoft Windows 10 Pro.  It did install the HP Support Assistant but no Recovery Manager or HP Recovery partition.  This was nothing like the 16 GB USB Flash Drive Recovery Kit HP sent me for  my Pavilion 570-P014 DT.

Then I went to the Cloud Recovery link and downloaded the softwarel from there.  The only offer was Operating System and Driver or Operating System or Drivers.  I took the Operating System and Drivers and after about an hour the files were download and copies to my  16 GB USB 3.0 flash rive.

I put the flash drive in the computer and it will not boot with the UEFI BIOS.  The only boot I could get was when I set the BIOS to Legacy enable and Secure Boot Disable.  When it did install in Legacyl mode all I had was the operating system with no HP recovery partition or Recovery Manager. 

I downloaded this Cloud Recovery software on 2 different 16 GB flash drives and neither drive would boot up in UEFI mode. 

I cannot believe that HP Support does not have a Recovery Kit flash drive for this PC if they have one for other models.

I can use the ProDesk 400 G3 just fine without the recovery partition and I can create all of the Windows recovery flash drives that I need.  I am just stubborn and want all of the capability that should be installed on this PC.  I still have 20 months of warranty remaining and I will NOT give up.   

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Well, as stubborn as I am; I went to the ProDesk 400 G3 MT with the Windows 10 Pro x64 software provided by HP on their DVD from the Recovery Kit (HA! HA! HA!)  It is only a kit becaue it consists of 2 DVD media.

I went to the Cloud Recovery link for the restore software for this PC and downloaded the software again on a 16 GB flash drive.

The download and creating the USB flash drive seems to go just fine.  The only problem is when I try to boot up the PC from the flash drive; the flash drive will not boot up the PC.  I can see the flsh drive on the boot menu after pressing F9, but NADA.

This machine will boot to a DVD in UEFI mode but will not boot to a USB 3.0 flash disk with the Cloud Recovery Software.  I can get my 8 GB SANDISK flash drive to boot up just fine in UEFI which has my windows created recovery.

Who do you notify at HP that this is NOT working?

Lanny

HP Recommended

Hi, Lanny:

If you live in the USA/Canada, you can call this number...

1-800-334-5144

If you don't live in the USA/Canada, you can contact HP for your country of residence at the link below...

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

HP Recommended

I just had a chat today with a HP support terchnician.  He hasd no explaination why the 16GB flash drives were just getting passed over and not booting.  

I finally did change the BIOS to Legacy enabled and secure boot disabled and WALLA the 16GB drive did boot and I went ahread and performed the install in Legacy mode.  Just as I expected; the recovery partition was not created and I just had a basic Windows 10 X64 Pro install.

When our chat was getting us nowhere the support technician offered to send me recover media.  He wouldn't say if it was DVD or USB.  When I receive it I will see how things go.  The last technician that sent me media was just a duplicate of the windows 10 Pro Operating System DVDl and Driver DVD that was included with the system when it was shipped to me.

Will let you know my outcome after the recovery media arrives.

HP Recommended

Well, the "Recovery Kit" for my HP ProDesk 400 GF3 MT today from FEDEX.  The "Kit" consisted of 2 DVDs.  One was for Windows 7 X64 SP! and the other was the Driver Disk to complement the Windows 7 disk.  All this does is reinstall Windows 7 X64 on the ProDesk 400 G3.  

I have 2 sets of each Windows 7 X64 with driver DVD and Windows 10 Pro X64 with drivedr DVD.

What I really wanted and still want is recovery media that will restore the hard drive back to factory defaults which includes the recovery partition and the windows 10 OS partition.  

HP did send me recovery media (32GB USB 3.0 flash drive) for my Pavilion 570-P014 desk top computer.  It worked just as I wanted it to and I am now a "Happy Camper" with this machine.  

The Cloud Recovery software is still nothing more than what HP sent me but you can download it and get it quicker.  I am not sure that some of the HP chat employees know what I am asking to receive.  

I have told them and offered to pay for the recovery media and each time I get the response that they will just send it to me.  They haven't gotten it right yet.

The chat line is down for maintenance at this time but I will get back up there and hopefully chat with someone that REALLY assist me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.