Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Z2 Mini G4 Workstation
Linux

I recently purchased an HP Z2 Mini G4 Workstation, the "Linux Ready" version without Windows, and am trying to install Ubuntu Linux18.04.1 LTS or 18.10 on it.  So far, despite having successfully installed Linux (mostly Ubuntu) many times on other machines, including HP laptops, I have had no luck with the Z2.  I am trying to install from a USB flash drive, either thumb drive or SSD, and every time the installation hangs or gives an error message when trying to install the grub2 bootloader.  I've googled this problem and found numerous reports of the same or similar problems, but I haven't yet found a clear step-by-step solution.

Any ideas on how to get Ubuntu working on my Z2 Mini?

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

@dslate

HP only warranties their PCs for usage with the OS that comes preinstalled. IF you replace that or add a different OS, then you assume full responsibility for maintaining that other OS -- as HP then provides assistance only on Redhat and then only to commercial customers.

Your best bet for Linux support, since HP does not provide Linux support to consumers, not does it provide Linux drivers, is to contact the support forum for the Linux distro you are trying to install -- in this case, the Ubuntu Forums: http://ubuntuforums.org/

Folks there have experience using HP machines with Linux and know a lot about driver sources and installation issues.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@WAWood, thanks for your reply, but I don't completely agree with it.  My HP Z2 Mini G4 Workstation wasn't sold as just a bare hunk of hardware - it was spec'd as "Linux-ready".   That must mean something.  What flavor(s) of Linux does HP claim it's ready for, if not a recent version of Ubuntu?  Also, since this forum is a support community many of whose posters don't represent HP but are presumably users like myself, I think it's reasonable for me to post my inquiry here in hopes that someone who reads it might have some useful experience with the installation problem I am having.  I am of course also searching Ubuntu forums for relevant posts.

HP Recommended

Update to my query:

I'm still having problems installing Ubuntu Linux 18.04.1 LTS or 18.10 on my HP Z2 Mini G4 Workstation, but I have managed to install and boot up Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS, which apparently doesn't suffer from the same grub2 installation issue.  I don't have Ethernet networking running yet, presumably because Ubuntu 16.04.1 lacks the required driver.   I plan to tackle the networking problem while continuing my search for a way to install a newer version of Ubuntu.

HP Recommended

Another update to my query:

I now seem to have a working Ubuntu Linux 16.04.5 LTS system up and running on my HP Z2 Mini G4 Workstation, and I connected a CableCreation USB 3.0 Network Adapter to get Internet access, So for now I am satisfied with the HP Z2, although I will still have a problem updating to a newer version of Ubuntu unless the grub2 installation problem is fixed.

HP Recommended

Hi!  how about your ubuntu install with this machine? I intend to buy this to use Ubuntu also, any help may just help me decide to take it for Ubuntu or not. Tks!

HP Recommended

Since my original post I have purchased a second HP Z2 Mini G4 Workstation and installed Ubuntu Linux 16.04 LTS on it.  So far both machines are running well.  But I still haven't found a solution to the problems I encountered trying to install a newer version of Linux.  At this time I have no interest in pursuing that issue further.

HP Recommended

So it not so ‘linux-ready’ as be advertised. I am using ubuntu 18.4 on my laptop and not really want to go back 16. I think I will look for another machine. Thanks for replying!

HP Recommended

Hi,

I am facing similar problems installing Linux. I tried RHEL 8, RHEL 7.6, Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, and Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. All hang at the same point - when installing boot loader / grub2.

@Dslate - please let me know if you made changes to your BIOS settings because I cannot install 16.04.06 LTS either.

Thank you

HP Recommended

Hi,

Update from me:

I managed to successfully install RHEL 7.5. So it seems that only the exact version of OS that Z2 compatibility matrix lists, works.  The list is here:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00060684.pdf

Although for Z2 it says RHEL 7.5 or higher, only 7.5 works.

I guess it is the same for Ubuntu - but I haven't tried that.

Hope this helps someone else who looks at this.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.