Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP z420 workstation
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

good evening everyone my issue is that I have a HP z420 workstation with a pre-installed Windows 7 Pro downgraded from Windows 8.1 and I am replacing the hard-drive from scratch I have a new drive and I don't have a backup or installation media. When I go to the Microsoft support page and enter the product key they say to go to hp's website since this is a pre-installed key so I cannot download the iso directly from Microsoft as I could with Windows 8. 

If there could be any support related to that then it would be wonderful.

EDIT: I ended up trying a Windows 7 pro install disc that I borrowed and when I'm at the part where I select the disk drive I have none come up as available. The BIOS is set to factory defaults and I have attempted to boot up the windows 7 copy from both a disc and a USB boot up configuration and still get nothing even after I try to load the chipset drivers from the HP support site I just get a message informing me to load a signed driver 

UPDATE: I've finally done it! I went into the BIOS and changed the option from RAID+AHCI to just AHCI! I'm so relieved that its finally working 🙂 Thank you again for your time 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I've finally done it! I went into the BIOS and changed the option from RAID+AHCI to just AHCI! I'm so relieved that its finally working 🙂 Thank you again for your time 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if this works...I have zipped up and attached the storage controller drivers below.

Use the DVD or put the USB flash drive into one of the USB 2 ports.  It won't work from a USB 3 port

Unzip them and copy them to a USB flash drive.

Unfortunately I don't know exactly what storage controller driver you need, but you can browse to each folder using the Load Driver option during the install.  Check the box, and it should only include the compatible driver.

One of those folders should have the correct storage controller driver.

HP Recommended

Thank you Paul for the reply, unfortunately when i try that i get the following error code. (this is a screenshot i found on the internet but same message comes up) When i try finding the windows 7 32 bit drivers i then am able to see the disk drive but then get the error about being unable to create or locate a partition.

Capture2.PNGSetup-was-unable-to-create-a-new-system-partition-or-locate-an-existing-system-partition.-See-the-Setup-log-files-for-more-information.png)

HP Recommended

I've finally done it! I went into the BIOS and changed the option from RAID+AHCI to just AHCI! I'm so relieved that its finally working 🙂 Thank you again for your time 🙂

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad you got Windows to install.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

My Windows7 still does not recognize those drivers you gave.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.