Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p6719c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20200226234806.000000-420
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 840T Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 10 Stepping 0, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 4 GB
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4200, 256 MB
Hard Drives: C: 918 GB (821 GB Free); 😧 12 GB (1 GB Free);
Motherboard: FOXCONN 2AB1, ver 1.00
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver HPQOEM - 20110322, s/n MXX1170CHL
Antivirus: Norton 360, Enabled and Updated

I think I may have some corrupt files in my Windows 10 Home operating system.  I can't run the Disk Defrag program when I try (it just says, "Optimization Not Available) and I just tried to update the OS to the newest Windows 10 2004 but it failed. 

I understand there is a program that scans your OS looking for corrupt or missing files and then fixes the.  I guess it's called SFC System File Checker.  How to I go about running this to check/scan my operating system.  What is the process to run this?

I did do a Thorough Virus Scan (not the Quick Scan) and no viruses were found. Also, I'm not getting a error message or beeps and startup is slow but does boot OK.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The factory installed disk is a platter HDD so optimization normally applies to a SATA SSD or M.2 SSD.

You should be able to defrag the drive.

I would run HP boot time diagnostics to check the drive for possible hardware errors. Tap "ESC", the "F2", then run system tests or see here (Link) for running HP Vision Diagnostics from a CD/DVD if needed.

You could also check file integrity by running the following items:

Open an Administrative command prompt (Type command prompt in search, right click on search result and select run as administrator) then enter DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

After this completes enter sfc /scannow

Your HDD may be failing.

The latest version of W10 may not be compatible with your circa 2011 PC. You may have to replace the HDD.

Regards

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

The factory installed disk is a platter HDD so optimization normally applies to a SATA SSD or M.2 SSD.

You should be able to defrag the drive.

I would run HP boot time diagnostics to check the drive for possible hardware errors. Tap "ESC", the "F2", then run system tests or see here (Link) for running HP Vision Diagnostics from a CD/DVD if needed.

You could also check file integrity by running the following items:

Open an Administrative command prompt (Type command prompt in search, right click on search result and select run as administrator) then enter DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

After this completes enter sfc /scannow

Your HDD may be failing.

The latest version of W10 may not be compatible with your circa 2011 PC. You may have to replace the HDD.

Regards

HP Recommended
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.