Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 23
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello, I am trying both f10 and ESC on power on as the net instructions is showing but not getting into either the bios or boot menu. I first ran a diagnostic Smart test which showed: https://i.postimg.cc/fbqgw56C/IMG-2430.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/y6ZrHmnh/IMG-2425.jpg

and this is the screen I am coming to after pressing f10 or ESC https://i.postimg.cc/cCRm8c5V/IMG-2427.jpg

Can you tell me first if the hard drive is shot? Wither way, what can I do to get into the boot menu or bios please?

I tried the instructions on this video here but does not work on my end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP1hJoDtGxE

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The HDD Diagnostics still shows "not installed" as it did when the bad HDD was connected.

A few things to try, in no particular order:

1. Enter BIOS setup, and be sure that all the SATA ports on the motherboard are "enabled" -- not "disabled". If necessary, enable the ports, exit from Setup, and restart the computer, to apply the new setting.

2. Remove the side-panel, to expose the new HDD. Power-on the computer, and touch the top of the disk-drive, while listening for any disk-drive noise (read/write head moving inside the disk-drive), and for a small amount of vibration while the disk-drive is spinning. If no noise, and no vibration, consider that the disk-drive is not receiving electrical power. Try connecting a different power-cable to the disk-drive.

3. With the computer totally powered-off, try using a different SATA cable between the disk-drive and the motherboard.

4. With the computer totally powered-off, disconnect the SATA cable from its current socket on the motherboard, and then connect it to a different socket. If necessary, on the motherboard, disconnect the SATA cable that leads to your CD/DVD device, and connect the disk-drive's SATA cable into the now-vacated SATA socket.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@mikehende 

There are different Envy 23 AIO models, some of which have SSDs, others have HDDs.  We have no way of knowing which you have based on the little info you provided.

But either way, you would have to replace the SSD/HDD to fix this problem.

If the AIO has an HDD, I would recommend you consider replacing that with an SDD as you will get much better performance.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

thx. I have replaced the HDD but since I have no idea which windows 8 version was installed on this machine I am trying windows 8 Standard and it's asking for a product key?  I am not seeing a model number anywhere on this unit

HP Recommended

I am not seeing a model number anywhere on this unit.

There should be a white-coloured sticky-label, showing the unique serial-number. Via http://support.hp.com enter that value, to see the original factory specifications for your computer.

If the computer was factory-shipped with Windows 8, then the product-key is embedded on the motherboard.  If it is, then you are entitled to install Windows 10 for free -- it will fetch that product-key, and use it.

If your computer was factory-shipped with Windows 7, there should be a product-key decal on the case. You can use that key when you install Windows 10, for free.

HP Recommended

Well, immediate problem is the bios is not recognizing the new installed hdd. When I get to the Windows Setup screen the hdd does not show. Also in BIOS setting under Storage the dive is not showing there either.

The hdd diagnostics still shows "not installed" as it did when the bad hdd was connected.

HP Recommended

The HDD Diagnostics still shows "not installed" as it did when the bad HDD was connected.

A few things to try, in no particular order:

1. Enter BIOS setup, and be sure that all the SATA ports on the motherboard are "enabled" -- not "disabled". If necessary, enable the ports, exit from Setup, and restart the computer, to apply the new setting.

2. Remove the side-panel, to expose the new HDD. Power-on the computer, and touch the top of the disk-drive, while listening for any disk-drive noise (read/write head moving inside the disk-drive), and for a small amount of vibration while the disk-drive is spinning. If no noise, and no vibration, consider that the disk-drive is not receiving electrical power. Try connecting a different power-cable to the disk-drive.

3. With the computer totally powered-off, try using a different SATA cable between the disk-drive and the motherboard.

4. With the computer totally powered-off, disconnect the SATA cable from its current socket on the motherboard, and then connect it to a different socket. If necessary, on the motherboard, disconnect the SATA cable that leads to your CD/DVD device, and connect the disk-drive's SATA cable into the now-vacated SATA socket.

Good luck!

HP Recommended

Thanks. Actually issue was the hdd was not fit snug to the socket which was why the mb would not see it, all is ok now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.