Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 8200 Elite CMT PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello there,

My Windows10 instalation went good until it came to finishing up and installing updates. It gives me the following message: Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed.

I tried to repair boot loader by using cmd, and I used diskpart and cleaned all my drives expect bootable USB. 

Note that I dont have secure boot option in my BIOS, nur boot options to select between UEFI and CSM. 

I suspect my BIOS is outdated. On bios it shows that version is 2.10.1208. but I have also found BIOS version is J01 v02.06. I am not sure which one is right so I wrote both.

I have 1HDD and 1SSD, both with unallocated space on them. I want to install Windows on SSD.

I have Googled for solutions but none worked.

My mainboard is HP 1494

I hope that you will find a way to help me somehow. It took me about 7hrs of trying.

Thanks in advance,

Danilo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your PC's BIOS is on v2.06, which is old.

I have two 8200 Elite CMT's both running W10 Pro with BIOS v2.28.

All have SSD's of different brands (Sandisk, Western Digital, Intel).

I also have the 6200 Pro MT which uses the same BIOS as the 8200 Elite, running W10 Pro on a Western Digital SSD.

I had no issues whatsoever installing W10 on any of these 3 PC's.

What I suggest you do is to make sure your SSD is plugged into SATA port 0, temporarily disconnect your other drive.

After you install W10, you can connect the drive back up to sata port 1.

Let me explain something to you about updating the BIOS, and why I have mine on v2.28, and not the latest one of 2.33.

If you install W10 in legacy mode (install it from one of the legacy boot sources) and you have BIOS v2.33 installed, the PC will take well over 2 minutes to restart from a warm boot.

So you either need to go back and reinstall W10 from one of the EFI boot sources, or hide the embedded security device (TPM) in the BIOS's security menu.

So, I left mine on v2.28 because on that BIOS version, no matter how W10 is installed, the PC restarts in a few seconds from a warm boot.

Recommendation:  Update the BIOS to v2.28, make sure the SSD is in SATA port 0, disconnect the HDD for now, and see if you can install W10 without any further complications.

I would use the F10 setup BIOS flashing method.  To me that is very easy to do, and is the safest way to update the BIOS.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your PC's BIOS is on v2.06, which is old.

I have two 8200 Elite CMT's both running W10 Pro with BIOS v2.28.

All have SSD's of different brands (Sandisk, Western Digital, Intel).

I also have the 6200 Pro MT which uses the same BIOS as the 8200 Elite, running W10 Pro on a Western Digital SSD.

I had no issues whatsoever installing W10 on any of these 3 PC's.

What I suggest you do is to make sure your SSD is plugged into SATA port 0, temporarily disconnect your other drive.

After you install W10, you can connect the drive back up to sata port 1.

Let me explain something to you about updating the BIOS, and why I have mine on v2.28, and not the latest one of 2.33.

If you install W10 in legacy mode (install it from one of the legacy boot sources) and you have BIOS v2.33 installed, the PC will take well over 2 minutes to restart from a warm boot.

So you either need to go back and reinstall W10 from one of the EFI boot sources, or hide the embedded security device (TPM) in the BIOS's security menu.

So, I left mine on v2.28 because on that BIOS version, no matter how W10 is installed, the PC restarts in a few seconds from a warm boot.

Recommendation:  Update the BIOS to v2.28, make sure the SSD is in SATA port 0, disconnect the HDD for now, and see if you can install W10 without any further complications.

I would use the F10 setup BIOS flashing method.  To me that is very easy to do, and is the safest way to update the BIOS.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for response.

I was about to install Windows 7 back on my PC yesterday, because I was afraid to update BIOS alone, but the error was the same as when I tried to install W10... 

I guess there's no other option than to update BIOS. Can you give me instructions on how to do it, and where to find that update? 

Thank you for your time.

Danilo

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Here is how you can update the BIOS. 

I am giving you v2.28 because of what I explained yesterday, and someday if you want to update it to v2.33, you will know how, and that is up to you if you want to update it further.

Get a USB flash drive and format it FAT32.

Download and run this file.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71001-71500/sp71294.exe

An info page will open.  Read the information under this section:

Startup Menu / F10 Setup BIOS Flashing

The HP Business Desktop systems provide a BIOS upgrade option through both the Startup Menu and the F10 Setup utility using the "Flash System ROM" feature.  Reboot the PC and press the Escape key to display the Startup Menu. Use the arrow keys to select Utilities, and then select the Flash System ROM option. Alternatively, reboot the PC and press F10 to access the BIOS Setup utility. In the File menu, select Flash System ROM.  Either method requires that removable media be present (USB storage or data CD) that contains the BIOS binary image file in the root directory. The binary image file can be found in the DOS Flash folder and is named xxx_MMmm.bin where "xxx" is the BIOS family, "MM" is the major version number, and "mm" is the minor version number.  To create a CD for updating the BIOS, use a blank CD-R or CD-RW disk on a system with a CD-RW or DVD+RW drive, and write the binary to the disk using any CD-burning software (Windows 7 and Vista support burning data CDs without additional software). If a BIOS Setup password has been set, the password will be required before being able to access the "Flash System ROM" menu. The user is notified when the process is completed.  The new BIOS code will not take effect until the PC is restarted.

View Contents of DOS Flash Folder

Click on the View Contents of DOS Flash Folder.

Copy the files in that folder to your USB flash drive.  Just the files, not the folder.

Restart the PC, tap the ESC key to get the menu of options.   Select the F10 setup option.

Select the File tab>Flash System ROM command.

Select the USB flash drive.

The PC should 'see' the BIOS files on the flash drive.

Follow the onscreen instructions to update the BIOS.

Hopefully it is just the old BIOS that is preventing you from installing W10.

I can't remember if my PC was on v2.28 before I updated to W10 or not. 

It probably was because the update came out right before W10 was released to market.

I can say for sure that I did not have v2.06 installed.

HP Recommended

It works finally. Thank you so much once again!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.