Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY TOUCH SCREEN
Microsoft Windows 10 IOT

I TRY TO OPEN A FILE OR FOLDER AND IT SHOWS THE THUMBNAIL BUT THE FILE WILL NOT OPEN

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Chefhops 

First of all, I am SURE you are NOT running Windows 10 IOT -- so why did you claim that>

Second, what app are you using to open these files?  In what directory are these files saved?  Did you create these files yourself, if so, using what app?

We can proceed when you provide the information.
Thanks

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I am using Windows 10 Home

I created the files myself 

Yawing File explorer 

HP Recommended

@Chefhops 

If you can create a file and save it to a directory, you should then be able to open it.

I have no idea what "Yawing File explorer" is.

HP Recommended

I meant USING file explorer. I was using the files the day before with no issues. The next day I went to open them and couldn't. I am not a tech savvy person so you need to explain things to me in the simplest terms possible. Thanks. I don't know how to begin to save a file to a directory or even what a directory is.

HP Recommended

maybe encrypted file try to use clean up softwares

HP Recommended

@Chefhops 

OK, understand .. but I don't see why this is happening as once you create a file, you will then always have permissions after that to open it and change it because you "own" that file.

A directory is another name for a folder -- they mean the same thing.

What application did you use to create these files that you now can not open anymore?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.