Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion All-in-One PC 27-ca1000i (4N5D8AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

I had to erase my computer and now it is asking for the recovery key for this drive

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

You can't erase a "computer", you can't even erase a "drive", but you can reformat a drive -- which will reset the filesystem to blank.  So, WHY did you have to do that, what were you hoping to accomplish?

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi @MATT1947 ,

Welcome back to the Forum.

I am a little fuzzy on what erasing your computer means.

The drive seems to be encrypted.

What are you doing with this drive when the PC is asking for a BitLocker recovery key?

I am thinking,... if you wiped the data on the drive (the drive now has unallocated space) then you should not see a BitLocker recovery key prompt.

I don't use BitLocker. I have found BitLocker to be more harmful than good.

You would probably have to try reinstalling the HP Cloud Recovery image if your PC qualifies or do a clean Windows 11 installation.

I don't know if redoing Windows on this drive is possible if the drive has been wiped and you are still getting a recovery key prompt.

You might have to clear or reset TPM BIOS settings to get rid of the recovery key prompt.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi @WAWood 

Sorry for the collision. 

No replies when I started my response.

I am a very slow typist. 😅

Regards

HP Recommended

I am not an HP computer expert or anything but your question on Bitlocker key- which can be gathered from logging on to your MS account on another computer where you will get the key. 

You can enter the key, after that go to setting and switch off the encryption. Voila!! just like that you are free to format the drive you want to and the carry on with your usual activity with the PC,

HP Recommended

Hi,

This is a really weird situation.

I can't understand how the system drive was erased or reformatted without the BitLocker Recovery key. The drive should be unmountable on all devices and inaccessible to all software without the BitLocker recovery key.

I am, also, not an expert. I have seen far too many folks in this Forum permanently lose access to data on an encrypted system drive because the OEM PC was shipped with W11 Home Device Encryption enabled by default.

The main point of BitLocker is to deny access to data on the drive unless the user provides a valid recovery key. Or the user would have to crack the encryption using tools available to three letter governmental agencies.

OEM, W11 Home, Device Encryption setup requires no user input.

The BitLocker recovery key may be available via the user's Microsoft account if the PC is associated with a Microsoft account.

A valid recovery key may fail if the TPM gets corrupted. So, you might have to clear or reset the TPM in the BIOS to solve the problem. A BIOS update may bork the system drive if you don't have the BitLocker recovery key or the TPM gets corrupted.

This is why I don't use: Windows Device Encryption (BitLocker light) or BitLocker.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.