Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Desktop PC

I have forgotten my password for my HP Desktop PC, can HP help me reset it?

Thanks

bill

I am an HP employee
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Reset the Microsoft connected account password

HP recommends using a Microsoft connected account (MSA) to log in to Windows. With a Microsoft connected account you log into Windows using your email address and the password can be reset using a different device at any time. You do not need a Microsoft or Hotmail email address to set up a connected account. Any email address will work.

To reset your password for an MSA account follow these steps:

1. Open an Internet browser and navigate to the Microsoft Reset your password Web page: https://account.live.com/password/reset.
  2. Select I forgot my password, and then click Reset your password.
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions to reset your password.

When the password is reset, you will be able to use your Microsoft account with the new password to sign in to Windows 10 and Windows 8. Make sure your computer is connected to the Internet before you attempt to sign in.

For more information about recovering your Microsoft account password see:

Reset a local user account password in Windows (all versions)

If you are using a local user account HP cannot recover or reset your password if it is lost or forgotten.

HP strongly recommends creating a password reset disk to enable you to reset your password in case it is forgotten. If you do not have a password reset disk and can’t remember your password, you will be directed by HP support to perform a full recovery to original factory conditions and will lose any data that was not backed up to an external location.

Create a password reset disk

To complete these steps, you'll need removable media (a USB flash drive).

1. Insert your removable media.
  2. Open User Accounts by clicking theStart button, clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety, and then clicking User Accounts.
  3. In the left pane, clickCreate a password reset disk, and then follow the instructions. Make sure you store the password reset disk in a safe place.

Reset your password using the password reset disk

If you enter the wrong password when you attempt to log on, Windows displays a message that the password is incorrect.

1. Click OK to close the message.
  2. Click Reset password, and then insert your password reset disk or USB flash drive.
  3. Follow the steps in the Password Reset wizard to create a new password.
  4. Log on with the new password. If you forget your password again, you can use the same password reset disk. You don't need to make a new one.

For more options for recovering your local account password see

Information about other password types

Password Type

Options

Power On / BIOS Password

HP does not capture or retain any BIOS password data, so HP cannot recover your local BIOS or power-on password.

Notebooks, Desktop all-in-ones and tablets - HP can remove BIOS and power on passwords via a service of the computer. You can contact HP Support to set this up. Options vary depending on location and warranty status (Service fee may apply).

Desktop PCs - There are jumpers on the system board that are designed to remove BIOS and power on passwords. Search for the specifications documentation on your PC. Find the document outlining the system or motherboard to locate CMOS and or password jumpers.

Chromebook

See What to do if you forget your sign-in password (Chrome OS)

Android

See What to do if you forget your sign-in password, pattern, or PIN (Android OS)

Microsoft Applications

See the Microsoft Account Security site. 

All Other Web site or Applications

Contact the website or application developer

I am an HP employee.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

HP recommends using a Microsoft connected account (MSA) to log in to Windows. With a Microsoft connected account you log into Windows using your email address and the password can be reset using a different device at any time. You do not need a Microsoft or Hotmail email address to set up a connected account. Any email address will work.

1. Open an Internet browser and navigate to the Microsoft Reset your password Web page: https://account.live.com/password/reset.

When the password is reset, you will be able to use your Microsoft account with the new password to sign in to Windows 10 and Windows 8. Make sure your computer is connected to the Internet before you attempt to sign in.

If you are using a local user account HP cannot recover or reset your password if it is lost or forgotten.

HP strongly recommends creating a password reset disk to enable you to reset your password in case it is forgotten. If you do not have a password reset disk and can’t remember your password, you will be directed by HP support to perform a full recovery to original factory conditions and will lose any data that was not backed up to an external location.

2. Open User Accounts by clicking theStart button, clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety, and then clicking User Accounts.
  3. In the left pane, clickCreate a password reset disk, and then follow the instructions. Make sure you store the password reset disk in a safe place.

If you enter the wrong password when you attempt to log on, Windows displays a message that the password is incorrect.

2. Click Reset password, and then insert your password reset disk or USB flash drive.
  4. Log on with the new password. If you forget your password again, you can use the same password reset disk. You don't need to make a new one.

Password Type

Options

Power On / BIOS Password

HP does not capture or retain any BIOS password data, so HP cannot recover your local BIOS or power-on password.

Notebooks, Desktop all-in-ones and tablets - HP can remove BIOS and power on passwords via a service of the computer. You can contact HP Support to set this up. Options vary depending on location and warranty status (Service fee may apply).

Desktop PCs - There are jumpers on the system board that are designed to remove BIOS and power on passwords. Search for the specifications documentation on your PC. Find the document outlining the system or motherboard to locate CMOS and or password jumpers.

Chromebook

Android

See What to do if you forget your sign-in password, pattern, or PIN (Android OS)

Microsoft Applications

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended
My hp pass word was lost can u restor it I'm a partner Tim wallace
HP Recommended

i have no reset disk

HP Recommended

@wes_notebooks wrote:

Password Type

Options

Power On / BIOS Password

Chromebook

Android

Microsoft Applications

Thanks,  but how cn I reset my password on windows server 2008 R2 ?

HP Recommended

[Content Removed]

HP Recommended

@wes_notebooks wrote:

Password Type

Options

Power On / BIOS Password

Chromebook

Android

Microsoft Applications

i got a blue screen once i made a boot disk. it is a windows 10

HP Recommended

@wes_notebooks wrote:

Password Type

Options

Power On / BIOS Password

Chromebook

Android

Microsoft Applications

i got a blue screen death once i booted from the usb on my windows 10. anyone what happened?

HP Recommended

User "thirockets" wrote:

>   I got a blue screen once i made a boot disk. it is a windows 10.

Please open your own question, and fully describe your problem, rather than appending to this "old" discussion,

because your question seems to be unrelated to the rest of this discussion.

HP Recommended

@lcarry wrote:

i have no reset disk

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.