Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
AY747AA
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hi there i seriously need you guy's help with my model # P6310Y.

I continually hear 1 short beep and 1 long beep when i try to boot up my pc.According to hp it's a memory issue but i proved that wrong.

I have gone thru removing the RAM checking if one of the modules are bad.they are all good 2gb x 3.

I also removed the windows 7 harddrive and i still get the beeps i described above.I made sure all cables are seated properly and i cleaned the entire MOBO for dust including the CPU.

I get a blank on my monitor nothing shown.

When i plug in the keyboard i don't get any power, lights etc(num lock,caps lock)

The mouse is getting power.

I replaced the power supply still getting the beeps and i can remove all cables,hd,mouse,KB and the beeps continue.

Please help me guys as i have hit a dead end and i appreciate your time,

Sincerely,

tech1126

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Quote from Wikipedia:

S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface Format) is a type of digital audio interconnect used in consumer audio equipment to output audio over reasonably short distances.

Anyway, it's time to "responsibly recycle" that motherboard, and get a new one.

You've swapped everything that was possible to swap, without solving the problem.

Pull all the small jumpers off the old MOBO, and save them.  They might be useful.

Try to find a MOBO from the same manufacturer with the same type of CPU (Intel to Intel, or AMD to AMD).

That increases the chances of Windows (stored on the current hard-drive) being able to reconfigure itself to adjust to the new hardware.  This "matching" also helps position all the external connectors (USB, Ethernet, audio) on the new MOBO to physically fit into your current case.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

This will help:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01732674

also refer:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02222922

Wish you luck,
Karthik

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended
Hi there professor thank you for taking time to answer my questions.I was already aware of the beep codes table and as a result I followed the recommendations to isolate problem with the memory modules.I tested all 3 sticks and I still got the one short beep,1 long beep.I removed the HDD and powered up the pc and the beeps continue without an HDD installed.I also removed the kb,mouse and monitor still the same outcome.I really appreciate the time you have spent on this problem. however I still need your help pinpointing this issue.I look forward to your reply..tech1126
HP Recommended

Hi i went to the links provided and after going thru all the possible senarios i still get 1 short beep,1 long beep.

I contacted Crucial.com and they verified i have the correct ram(6gb).i removed and reinserted each ram thru  all 4 slots and still the same beeps.HELP i hit a wall!!

I have a HP PAVILLION P6310Y..

HP Recommended

Professor OH i forgot tell you i replaced the BIOS battery as well..Thanks alot for your time!!

HP Recommended

> I have gone thru removing the RAM checking if one of the modules are bad.they are all good 2gb x 3.

Do you have 3 slots on the motherboard for RAM, or 4 slots?

Have you tried the RAM in a different computer?  Tell us the result.

Time to become "methodical" ...

Turn the computer off, and disconnect the power-cable. Remove all the sticks of RAM.

Put one stick into the slot closest to the CPU.  Reconnect the power-cable. Turn the computer on.

If "beeps", turn the computer off. Disconnect the power-cable. Remove the RAM.

Put stick #2 into the slot closest to the CPU.  Reconnect the power-cable. Turn the computer on.

Put stick #3 into the slot closest to the CPU.  Reconnect the power-cable. Turn the computer on.

Put sticks #1 & #2 into the two slots closest to the CPU. Reconnect the power-cable. Turn the computer on.

Put sticks #1 & #3 into the two slots closest to the CPU. Reconnect the power-cable. Turn the computer on.

Put sticks #2 & #3 into the two slots closest to the CPU. Reconnect the power-cable. Turn the computer on.

Tell us your results from each of these tests.

HP Recommended

after a long process to rule out the 6gb of ram in this system and i continue to get 1 short beep,1 long beep regardless of the ram.i removed all peripherals and still get the god forsaken beeps.with or without the ram or hdd.I did find HDD failure since i placed this w7 1tb hdd in another pc that works great and the bios does not recognize the hdd.so i know i need a new hdd.What im going to do now is put in a good hdd and see if i can get into safe mode.I'll get back to you shoprtly!!

HP Recommended

Well i installed a good hdd into the p6310y and cleaned all the dust which hardly was any and when i powered up the pc i tried to go into safe mode and i get nothing on the screen,black!!

I disconnected the dvd drive and connected it to the good drive and nothing.All the while im getting the same 1 short beep,1 long beep.

Im wondering maybe the MOBO is bad but i would like to run some tests on the mobo if possible to see if it indeed is defective.Now i dont know how to do this so i need help.

Let me know what you guys think about this possiblity?

HP Recommended

hi mdklassen please review my last post regarding your email to me yesterday 8/31/16 please?

HP Recommended

Are you using the motherboard's "integrated video", or an add-in video-card?

If the former, i.e., a connector on the back, near the PS/2 & USB & network & serial ports, then it could be "bad video" causing the beeps.  Can you physically add-in a video-card?  Connect your monitor-cable to that video-card.  Hopefully, the BIOS will "prefer" the add-in video-card, and will "disable" the onboard video-card.

If the latter, physically remove that add-in video-card, and connect the monitor-cable to the onboard video-output, and start it up, to see if it "beeps".

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.