Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hey MDKlassen thanks for getting back to me.I installed a good working video card from a working pc and i still get the same beeps 1 short beep,1 long beep.I disabled the dvd and used the cables for the hdd and still nothing but beeps.

Do you have another option for me to try?

HP Recommended

I forgot to tell you yes i was using the onboard video card before your new post.

HP Recommended

I assume that your RAM works fine in some other computer.  Correct?

A few things to try:

Take a look at the capacitors on the motherboard (cylindrical towers, maybe with an 'X' on the top).

They should be flat-topped -- any "dome" convexity indicates a failing capacitor.

Any "orange-dust" on top also indicates a failing capacitor.

At this point, it's cheaper to replace the motherboard than to pay a qualified board-level technician to try to unsolder the capacitor, and solder-in a replacement.

Physically remove the add-in video-card, to reduce the power-output requirements of your power-supply.

Maybe, that add-in card was drawing too much power, leaving insufficient power to the motherboard.

Have you tried a single stick of RAM? Try it in each of the 4 RAM slots. Maybe, one of the slots is "bad".

Have you tried replacing the CMOS battery?

A posting elsewhere indicated that doing so fixed the problem for one person.

Also, another posting elsewhere reported a piece of aluminum foil on the motherboard (source was a foil-wrapped chocolate bar) that was causing an electrical "short", and creating the problem.  I understand that you've cleaned the dust, but please take another look.

Try patching-in a different power-supply.

Run its biggest connector to the power-socket on the motherboard.

If your current power-supply has a 4-pin connector to someplace on the motherboard,

run the 4-pin connector from the other power-supply to that socket on the motherboard.

Don't connect any other connectors to other hardware, e.g., hard-drive, CD/DVD, floppy-drive.

Finally, it could be the memory-controller circuitry on the motherboard that has gone "bad".

This would require the replacement of the motherboard (and CPU).

Try to choose a replacement motherboard is compatible with your current RAM.

HP Recommended

Hey teach hope your day is going well.

I have gone thru your entire list as follows:

1)the working pc i have cannot support the rams in question.

2)I tested each ram slot with each 2gb ram for a total of 3 sticks no change still beeps.

3)Checked all capacitors they are good meaning no domes or orange dust.

4)i removed the add-on video card.

5)I replaced the CMOS BATT with the same batt no change still beeps.

6)there is no foil on MOBO.

7)Replaced the power supply with a like PS.and no changes..still beeps however i noticed when i did not connect the 4 pin connector there was NO BEEPS but after about 2 mins the power supply stopped working until i connected the 4pin back then it started to beep again and the ps continued with no interruption.

😎 I noticed a 2 wire black,white wires with the meaning on the mobo(SPDIF OUT2)which is not connected anywhere on mobo and i cannot find the 2 pin as to where it supposed to connect.I don't know if this means anything but i wanted you to know about it.

9)while performing these tasks i did not connect any peripherals.

I believe i have covered your entire list and from what you have indicated i do beleive the Motherboard is defective?

I'll have to weigh the costs of buying a new MOBO,CPU as to wether i am going to rebuild this pc as i have never done this but i am very willing to learn since i am passionate about computers and learning about them.

I really am appreciative about your time you have spent with me and i'll wait till you respond to see which way to go!!

What would be your final decision?

Thanks alot Teacher,

Tech11126

HP Recommended

YAY I made it to TUTOR!!!!

I am so delighted!!

Thanks HP!!!

HP Recommended

(( removed incomplete message ))

HP Recommended

Quote from Wikipedia:

S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface Format) is a type of digital audio interconnect used in consumer audio equipment to output audio over reasonably short distances.

Anyway, it's time to "responsibly recycle" that motherboard, and get a new one.

You've swapped everything that was possible to swap, without solving the problem.

Pull all the small jumpers off the old MOBO, and save them.  They might be useful.

Try to find a MOBO from the same manufacturer with the same type of CPU (Intel to Intel, or AMD to AMD).

That increases the chances of Windows (stored on the current hard-drive) being able to reconfigure itself to adjust to the new hardware.  This "matching" also helps position all the external connectors (USB, Ethernet, audio) on the new MOBO to physically fit into your current case.

HP Recommended
Mdklassen I want to thank you for teaching me how to properly diagnose a desktop pc.I will continue to look forward to working with you and other potential teachers on our HP forum.I'll keep in touch as to what's gonna happen with my p6310y.Have a great holiday.Peace my brothers,
Tech1126
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.