Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion 6650z
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am trying to do a clean uninstall and reinstall of Windows 10.  My father did the free upgrade to Windows 10.  He wrote down the product code key.  Microsoft is saying it is not valid and won't activate Windows 10 without it.  Since Windows 7 was installed when this computer was purchased, I'm thinking HP would have a record of the product code key.  How can I get it?  I have the product ID #.  Can anyone help me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

HP has no records of any product keys for any PC.

There should be (have been) a W7 COA label with the product key somewhere on the PC's case...back, side or top.

If W10 had been installed previously, you don't need to enter any product keys when you reinstall W10.

I have done it many times on several different PC's.

When you get to the screen where you are asked to enter a product key, select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 should install and activate once you are connected to the internet.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

HP has no records of any product keys for any PC.

There should be (have been) a W7 COA label with the product key somewhere on the PC's case...back, side or top.

If W10 had been installed previously, you don't need to enter any product keys when you reinstall W10.

I have done it many times on several different PC's.

When you get to the screen where you are asked to enter a product key, select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 should install and activate once you are connected to the internet.

HP Recommended

Hi,  

Thank you, I found it!  I was able to re-download Windows 10 without the product code key.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.