Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 595 desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought an HP Pavilion with two drives installed.  One is 118 GB, and the other is 1 terabyte.  HP, stupidly (in my opinion), installed the Windows system on the smaller drive.  It automatically stores all documents, pictures, and programs on the smaller drive.  I have moved documents and pictures to the larger drive, but I cannot install any more programs unless I uninstall one that is already there.  Is there any way to move the operating system to the larger drive?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello
I don't have the specifications for your computer, but no, HP hasn't done anything stupid about it!
You most certainly have a small but faster SSD, the error is in the size of the SSD, which is far too tight.
Unfortunately you have to think about it before, nothing says that at a time T, following the installation updates etc, that this SSD will no longer have free space.
You could, in fact, try to install windows on the larger disk, but you will lose a lot in performance!
You must try to move as much data as possible on the Hard Disk.
It doesn't work with everything, and some programs may be slower, but you can also sometimes try to install the programs on the hard drive!
According to some have found tips on the net ..
Otherwise, you usually have to create a folder on the disk and when you install the software, use the advanced installation functions, or directly sometimes in order to change the default location!
Be careful sometimes you have to think about creating a sub-folder with the name of the software, otherwise, you risk having mixed files.
I have for example a games folder here:

Annotation 2020-06-05 145525.png

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello
I don't have the specifications for your computer, but no, HP hasn't done anything stupid about it!
You most certainly have a small but faster SSD, the error is in the size of the SSD, which is far too tight.
Unfortunately you have to think about it before, nothing says that at a time T, following the installation updates etc, that this SSD will no longer have free space.
You could, in fact, try to install windows on the larger disk, but you will lose a lot in performance!
You must try to move as much data as possible on the Hard Disk.
It doesn't work with everything, and some programs may be slower, but you can also sometimes try to install the programs on the hard drive!
According to some have found tips on the net ..
Otherwise, you usually have to create a folder on the disk and when you install the software, use the advanced installation functions, or directly sometimes in order to change the default location!
Be careful sometimes you have to think about creating a sub-folder with the name of the software, otherwise, you risk having mixed files.
I have for example a games folder here:

Annotation 2020-06-05 145525.png

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Computer is HP Pavillion 595-P0084.  I think you have answered my question, though.  I see three possible solutions

1) Continue managing it as I am to keep the system drive from becoming completely full.

2) Possibly install programs on the larger data drive, though they may lose some performance

3) Swap the existing 118 GB system drive for a larger SSD drive.

Thank you for your help.  Even with translate, your answer was very clear.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for this note

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.