Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ProDesk
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Restore partition is almost full and slowing the computer. I want to relocate the restore to an external Hard Drive.How can I do that? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Moving the recovery partition to another drive will likely not work if you try to recover from it. Already tried this with my HP laptop, and although I was able to boot off it, I was not able to select a recovery method as the computer knew that it was on another device. Even if the recovery options were there, it would probably recover to the external device instead of the hard drive inside the system.

If you haven't done so already, please create a recovery image by launching HP Recovery Media Creation, that is, after moving all files that were not part of the recovery partition. (DON'T remove/delete the file "recovery" with a folder/lifesaver icon). It's recommended that you create the recovery image on a USB flash drive that's no smaller than 32 GB. Once it finishes, the USB flash drive can be used to recover the system should the hard drive fail. Keep the USB drive in a safe place and don't use it for anything else. You should also have the option to remove the recovery partition from the hard drive and regain space.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@bwilson300, welcome to the forum.

The Recovery partition on your hard drive should not be used to store files.  It is meant to Recover the system if you have problems.  You should remove any files that are not pretaining to the Recovery process and assure that you save to another partition in the future.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Moving the recovery partition to another drive will likely not work if you try to recover from it. Already tried this with my HP laptop, and although I was able to boot off it, I was not able to select a recovery method as the computer knew that it was on another device. Even if the recovery options were there, it would probably recover to the external device instead of the hard drive inside the system.

If you haven't done so already, please create a recovery image by launching HP Recovery Media Creation, that is, after moving all files that were not part of the recovery partition. (DON'T remove/delete the file "recovery" with a folder/lifesaver icon). It's recommended that you create the recovery image on a USB flash drive that's no smaller than 32 GB. Once it finishes, the USB flash drive can be used to recover the system should the hard drive fail. Keep the USB drive in a safe place and don't use it for anything else. You should also have the option to remove the recovery partition from the hard drive and regain space.

HP Recommended

Thank you!

It Worked!

It was even a bit easier than your instructions, (once I had the courage to start).

I opened my Control Panel and found a "Restore" icon. I opened it and three options appeared. When i clicked "Create a New Restore Drive", it discovered the old, 512g Toshiba USB drive I had previously inserted. It gave me a warning that everything on the Toshiba drive would be erased. Then I selected "Load System Files". After about 5 to 7 minutes, all of the new recovery files appeared in the newly created "Recovery" drive.

My next step is to use the tool to remove the now defunct, old recovery partition.

HP Recommended

HELP! After following the excellent directions to configure a "Restore" drive on a large USB drive, (Windows 10) and then following the directions to delete the "D:Restore:" partition, my computer has failed to start, directing me to "Choose your keyboard layout", with the attached screen.IMG_0979.JPG 

HP Recommended

Did you remove the USB flash drive that you created the recovery image on from the computer? Sounds like the computer is booting from it and not from the hard drive.

HP Recommended

Bingo!

You were absolutely correct.

I removed the USB Restore drive and started the computer. It came up. I then inserted the USB Restore dtive and it immediately started. Now it is fixed!

The new larger Restore is operative and I have labled the USB Drive as my Restore.

Thank you!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.