Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 870-100 Desktop PC series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I hae a question about the recent update for the processor which is in meltdown or spectre problem. I was surprised to see that HP did not have the update for this desktop and posted on " TBD " I wonder if HP will ever update for this sereies of Omen desktops soon or should be fine with no problem.  But I ran the Intel's Discovery Tool.GUIi n a  few minutes ago and show me that my system is vulnerable. I understand that there is an Windows Update with KB4056892 which was updated through Windows Update on January 3rd or 4th. Mine was updated on January 3rd in the afternoon by automatic update of Windows Update.  Now my question is that " Is my system safe " after the update through Windows Update or not. Because HP still don't have the update of processor for my desktop.  Am I confused with two different information about Windows Update and Intel's Discovery Tool.GUI about my desktop system.

Thank you,

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello everyone

Intel has released Spectre microcode updates for newer processors to OEM's.

Please refer to this article for more information.

Tom

View solution in original post

84 REPLIES 84
HP Recommended

Hi

HP can't issue any type of BIOS (processor/microcode) patch until Intel releases the fixes for both flaws to OEM's.

I found the following description of the flaws at Anandtech to be very inciteful.

The Windows 10 update to patch meltdown fixes part of the problem. Intel has to provide the remaining patches to partially mitigate the rest of the flaws.

Tom

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply and guess that I will have to wait for Intel to get the update fix for my desktop. Also want to say thank you for the link to read online.

John

HP Recommended

Hi John

You are welcome.

I thought the article was pretty darn good.

One point was to stay calm.

At least there are no known remote exploits at this time.

Tom

HP Recommended

To be honest, Intel already has a patch and pushed it to the manufacturers.

I know this, because my Dell laptop got a BIOS Update on Dec 22th where the whole meltdown/spectre stuff was patched already!

So, HP is just way too late releasing anything, even a reaction is asking too much for HP.

HP Recommended

That's how it looks on my PC after KB4056892 got installed earlier today:

Untitled.png

(Details of the procedure from this thread / post on TenForums: https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/101702-windows-client-guidance-against-speculative-executi...)

Feel free to do the same your side.

So the next steps sits with HP clearly .

HP Recommended

Like Dell, Microsoft Surfaces got the intel hardware chip update with the windows 10 patch.

Bottom line:  HP is slow. Too Slow.

Use this tool from intel to check your sustem:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025619/software.html

from there FAQ's:

: The Intel-SA-00086 Detection Tool reports that my system is vulnerable. What do I do?
A:
Intel has provided system and motherboard manufacturers with the necessary firmware and software updates to resolve the vulnerabilities identified in Security Advisory Intel-SA-00086.

Contact your system or motherboard manufacturer regarding their plans for making the updates available to end users.

Some manufacturers have provided Intel with a direct link for their customers to obtain additional information and available software updates (Refer to the list below).

The HP support link in that Intel page: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05843704 

But only new work stations and laptops in that list. No older ones. No statement about older HP products. Means out of warrenty, out of patch in this case?

Can a HP rep reply here?

Iam under EU regulation so the producte that you sell must be good. So I acpect a warretny solution for this 2 bug problems.

HP Recommended

Agreed with you about how slow is HP moving to get the fix for HP users.

John

HP Recommended

Here is my screenshot of PowerShell from my desktop,  HP Omen #870-119. Guess my desktop is okay after the Windows Update of KB4056892 which was installed on January 4th. My HP Omen 870-119 information.png

HP Recommended

I also managed to find & download the Spctre/Virge hack patch which my Pavilion 410y accepted anticlimactically on the 5th after hearing about it on the national news

kingtopcat

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.