Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming TG01-0185T
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

StockTG01-0185T (i7-9700) upgraded with 2x Seagate Ironwolf 4TB drives, running Win10 1909, AMI BIOS F.11 and Intel RST 17.7.0.1006,  System board 8653A.

Everything installed and ran beautifully.  A single 4TB RAID1 volume was created, initialized and verified.  I was happy until after some time i restarted.  IAStorUI would not find the volume any more.  Any number of shutdowns, starts and restarts would not recover the detection.  The volume was there.  Win10 was perfectly happy.  Device Manager sees them.  Just IAStorUI cannot see them and the taskbar icon for RST complains.

Enter BIOS and "Ignore changes and Exit" will restore the ability to detect the volume EVERY time.  Restarts and shutdown/starts after this work... but let the computer run for a while and a restart will loose the volume.  Shutdown for a while and start is the same.  It is as if over time something "disappears" and only a BIOS setup entry and exit refreshes it.

The behavior is identical if i set the SATA controller to AHCI instead of RAID.  So its like the RAID setting fades away or expires. I would think BIOS setting were in flash, but they could be in RTC CMOS memory.  Real time clock and date never seem affected. So I am stumped.

BTW, I started with Win10 1903 and the older RST version posted on HP Support with same effect.  I upgraded to 1909  and RST 17.7.0.1006 hoping it would fix it. No luck.

Anyone have this working on their machine?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sorry for the delayed response, I have been traveling internationally and the system was not available to me.

Executive summary: Either BIOS F.11 or Intel IAStorUI or both have a bug that precludes the recognition of a RAID volume and notifies the user of volume errors unless Win10 was booted after exiting BIOS setup.  Intel's new Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management app that is only available on the Microsoft Store either works around an F.11 bug or fixes an IAStorUI bug and always reliably recognizes a RAID volume.  Final actions I performed and final solution described below.

I appreciate HP's response... but... lame.  I cannot roll back the BIOS and rolling back Windows and security updates is unrealistic.  I would have much RATHER had a response that reflected this system, BIOS, Windows version and Intel RST version actually supported the configuration. I reported a problem and desired a confirmation or denial that the problem was replicated.

Upon returning to the system, I updated Intel RST to 17.8.0.1065.  This version of IAStorUI behaved the same.  RAID1 volume could only be recognized after a reboot that entered BIOS setup and  "Ignore Changes and Exit".  A shutdown/start or restart would result in IAStorUI emitting a notification for array errors and IAStorUI could not find the volume.  Reboot into BIOS setup and it could.

Definitely a software bug.  Either in BIOS F.11 or IAStorUI.  First thought was CMOS... so i replaced the battery.  No change.

Could it be BIOS?  BIOS installer refuses to downgrade from F.11 to F.03.  No Change.

Ironically, I noticed that IAStorUI had a banner bar that stated "Thsi application will be discontinued. Click here for more information".  Hmmm... finally a clue.  The "here" link informs you that Intel will EOL IAStorUI in favor of the "Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management" app that is only available on the Microsoft Store.  Went to MSFT Store and download version 17.8.1007 of the app and ran it on the existing 17.8.0.1065 Intel RST drivers.  Eureka!  Volumes detected.  Ran IAStorUI... not detected. Ran new app... detected.  Shutdown/start or restart... same result.

Conclusion, software bug.  Intel IAStorUI could only detect the volume after an exit from BIOS setup.  New Optane app always detects the volume... either working around a bug in F.11 or fixing a bug in IAStorUI.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@sllinke
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

I can suggest try and restore the computer back to the factory. Performing an HP system recovery (Windows ) While doing the recovery there is an option to backup your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows )You can also contact HP support for assistance.  

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry for the delayed response, I have been traveling internationally and the system was not available to me.

Executive summary: Either BIOS F.11 or Intel IAStorUI or both have a bug that precludes the recognition of a RAID volume and notifies the user of volume errors unless Win10 was booted after exiting BIOS setup.  Intel's new Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management app that is only available on the Microsoft Store either works around an F.11 bug or fixes an IAStorUI bug and always reliably recognizes a RAID volume.  Final actions I performed and final solution described below.

I appreciate HP's response... but... lame.  I cannot roll back the BIOS and rolling back Windows and security updates is unrealistic.  I would have much RATHER had a response that reflected this system, BIOS, Windows version and Intel RST version actually supported the configuration. I reported a problem and desired a confirmation or denial that the problem was replicated.

Upon returning to the system, I updated Intel RST to 17.8.0.1065.  This version of IAStorUI behaved the same.  RAID1 volume could only be recognized after a reboot that entered BIOS setup and  "Ignore Changes and Exit".  A shutdown/start or restart would result in IAStorUI emitting a notification for array errors and IAStorUI could not find the volume.  Reboot into BIOS setup and it could.

Definitely a software bug.  Either in BIOS F.11 or IAStorUI.  First thought was CMOS... so i replaced the battery.  No change.

Could it be BIOS?  BIOS installer refuses to downgrade from F.11 to F.03.  No Change.

Ironically, I noticed that IAStorUI had a banner bar that stated "Thsi application will be discontinued. Click here for more information".  Hmmm... finally a clue.  The "here" link informs you that Intel will EOL IAStorUI in favor of the "Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management" app that is only available on the Microsoft Store.  Went to MSFT Store and download version 17.8.1007 of the app and ran it on the existing 17.8.0.1065 Intel RST drivers.  Eureka!  Volumes detected.  Ran IAStorUI... not detected. Ran new app... detected.  Shutdown/start or restart... same result.

Conclusion, software bug.  Intel IAStorUI could only detect the volume after an exit from BIOS setup.  New Optane app always detects the volume... either working around a bug in F.11 or fixing a bug in IAStorUI.

HP Recommended

@sllinke
Thank you for posting back. 

I am glad to know that you managed to resolve the issue. Please reach out again for any further assistance.

Have a nice day ahead.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.