Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 2000 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I own and operate a Computer Repair shop. A customer brought in an HP 2000 Notebook after she had a scam attempted on her.  When she refused to provide personal financial information, the scammer, who was remoted in, put a Windows Startup password on it.  I reloaded the laptop using the recovery partition.  The Windows 8 OS reported that the product key was invavlid. It continued to do so even after I upgraded to Windows 8.1.  I am assuming that the scammer had something to do with this.  I know her key was good, as this is the second time reloading her machine due to scammers, (she is very old and vulnerable), and it worked the last time. 

What I need, very simply, is her Product Key for this machine.  She can't find anything that shows it at home.  

Any help you can be would be GREATLY appreciated as this is my last option, (HP doesn't appear to have a way to just call them, and the support chat only works if you are still under warranty).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi@DonnieR6972,

Thanks for reaching out to HP Support Forums. Best platform for all sorts of solutions, tips and tweaks to your questions/issues.

To have the best experience on HP forum, visit our HP Forums Guide to know more.

OS needs activation/product key after reinstallation. Is that right?

Thank you for sharing the issue details. I would like to help you.

This can be solved by doing the recovery from the recovery media.

To help you get one online, I need the model name of the PC.

You may also contact HP Phone support using the link below and order over the phone.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

Hope this helps. Let me know for more.

Happy posting.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

> the scammer  ... put a Windows Startup password on it. 

Probably using the 'SYSKEY.EXE' utility.

After restoring your customer's laptop, you should delete this file (or rename it).

> I reloaded the laptop using the recovery partition. 

Since it is an HP recovery partition, loading onto a HP computer, it should NOT have needed a product-key.

> The Windows 8 OS reported that the product key was invalid.  It continued to do so even after I upgraded to Windows 8.1.  

Exactly what was the error-message?

Did the scammer extract the product-key from your client's computer, and abuse it on many computers,

such that Microsoft "blocked" the key?

Is there a Microsoft "product-key" decal on the bottom of the laptop?

Is it legible?   Watch out for "oh" versus "queue" versus "gee".

Have you entered that product-key?  Did it work?

HP Recommended

Thank you.  Model is: HP 2000-2c17CL

The installation WAS from the recovery partition on the hard drive that came new wih this laptop. That's what's making me scratch my head here...unless the scammer knows how to alter the key somehow.  It was invalid after I reinstalled 8 with the recovery partition, and after I upgraded to 8.1.  Currently, the key is the placeholder key. I just need the Product Key for this machine.

HP Recommended

See:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-2000-Notebook-PC-series/5330596/model/5363224

USB-Windows 8 64-bit Recovery Kit

System Recovery Kit for Consumer Notebook

Order Media
HP Recommended

Here is the error code:  Error code: 0xC004C003  Upon reading the error info, it does say that the activation code has been blocked.  This was the second time I reloaded this laptop in a fairly short period of time...would that do it?  It's VERY possible the scammer did extract and abuse the key. Do I have an option that won't cost this little ol' lady money?  The poor thing is already paying a second time to have me fix her computer over these scammers...

HP Recommended

Reloading the software onto the same hardware should NOT cause the product-key to be "blacklisted".

Found via a Google-search:

Attempt to validate by going to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate  and follow the links provided to repair windows.

But, if it really is "black-listed" by Microsoft, any "unblocking" would re-enable its unauthorized usage by the scammer.

So, it's probable that the only way out is to purchase a license to use Windows 10.

Are you a "Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher" ? 

If so, you can "refurbish" (to their standards) computer(s), and purchase license(s) for Windows 10, and install it on the refurbished computer(s).

Can you apply to get authorized?

HP Recommended

I only refurbish to my standards which have to be much higher.  😉  I have a free 7 license, so I'll likely load that up. Thanks anyways!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.