Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
500-214
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I'm trying to upgrade my Pavilion Model # 500-214 to windows 10 and when the install gets to 73% I get a message "Windows 10 Installation has failed". I've trying many suggestions for the last three days and still no go.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

Looking at the specs, you should be able to run W10 on that PC.

HP even has W10 drivers for it.

HP Pavilion 500-214 Desktop PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

How are you trying to upgrade to W10?

Did you click on the blue Update Now button at the link below, or did you create a W10 USB installation flash drive using the media creation tool?

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

I recommend that you make the bootable USB installation flash drive, but don't boot from it.

Open it in windows explorer and double click on the setup application to begin the installation/upgrade process.

HP Recommended

Yes I clicked the Update now button and it did it's updating and checking and started the installation 

HP Recommended

to finish my last post at 73% it failed

HP Recommended

OK, then try making the bootable USB flash drive instead, and click on the setup application.

HP Recommended

OK I will try that, thanks. I'll let you know what happens.

HP Recommended

@500-214 --  to finish my last post at 73% it failed

How old is the disk-drive?  Perhaps, it is failing at that "73%" mark.  If so, replace the disk-drive, and start over.

HP Recommended

did as you suggested and same result, 73% and failed.

HP Recommended

That's unfortunate.

Since you have not previously installed W10 on the PC, I don't know if you can try clean installing W10, and then use the W8.1 product key in the BIOS to activate the installation.

Clean installing W10 would require you to reinstall all of your programs and files after W10 installed, and there is still no 100% guarantee it will work.

Now You can Activate Windows 10 Using Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 Product Key – AskVG

Assuming you want to take the chance on this, I recommend that you make a system image of your current W8.1 installation prior to installing W10, so you can easily reinstall your current configuration in case the clean install fails too. 

I use the free Macrium Reflect software to do that, under the Backup at Home section. 

Along with the system image, make sure you create the bootable DVD or USB rescue drive you boot from to access the system image stored on your portable hard drive.

Macrium Software | Reflect Free Edition

How to clean install W10...

How to do a Clean Install of Windows 10 the Easy Way (howtogeek.com)

When you get to the part of the installation that asks you to enter a product key, select the I don't have a product key option.

You can use the free showkey plus utility that I zipped up and attached below to see your W8.1 product key so that you can activate W10 after it has installed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.