Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi guys can anyone help me? My PC downloads files straight to my desktop when most of the time I wantbto "save as" to flash drive how do I get tat option? Is it a settings issue? I'm so frustrated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

"AFK" = Away from Keyboard

I have to go elsewhere for six hours, so do not panic if not responding ... others (like Ossie) may respond in my stead.

Will be back in six hours.

Cheers,

Rick.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Hi Bazookabubba,

The issue described is related to your operating system (OS), first tier - then the internet browser (second tier), then any download manager program running with the browser.

We ask visitors requesting help to give information about their computer (type, model, CPU, class/age) and Operating System (name, version, edition) - in order to understand the scope of problems/issues that can be software (OS) and component (computer parts) specific.

Without this detail it is impossible to give accurate responses - thus wastes the time of folks here trying to help.

Assuming you are running Windows (MS) or Umbunto (Linux) - browser sub function is pretty much the same.

Go to your connection settings, then accounts. In there somewhere will be "default download directory". It will show "desktop" or 'default' currently. Change it to the desired location ... eg. C:\downloads    - then save.

Check to see if the browser is using a 'download accelerator' or download helper (apps/plug-ins); then go to plug-ins/apps - and right click on the application or plug-in. Change the download directory to C:\downloads - then exit.

Next go to your hard drive file viewer (Explorer) and make a folder called 'downloads' on the root drive (drive C:). Once done everything will get downloaded there.

Cheers,

Rick.

HP Recommended

It didn't work and quite frankly your response was very confusing to a new user can you please write step 1 step 2 ect ect your response was all over the place i tried the thing you said about the defaults and it appears its already on C drive the only other option is drive D recorvery so i that didnt work? if you want to know the system of my laptop you did not describe where i find it ????

HP Recommended

Bazookabubba,

1.     Your computer will have a model/type on the body/housing - or on the underside (sticker). Please provide that information.

2. You are using some Operating System = the master program for daily work/use of the computer. This is probably "Windows", by microsoft. It will have a version number (10?) and edition type (home?). Please provide this information.

Rick.

HP Recommended

Product name is HP 2000 Notebook PC

Product # D1E15UA#ABA

[edit]

Windows 10 64- bit

Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.836)

Now what? Thank you for trying to help I hope my computer doesn't get hacked with all this info I just provided!

HP Recommended

Dear Bazookabubba ...

Thank you for the details.

Your computer cannot be 'hacked' by the detail provided.

Only required: Product name is HP 2000 Notebook PC

For future - only give "Serial Number" - in (locked) HP warranty request forms. (Is personal data = you ... not sufficient for 'hacking your computer').

Operating System (O/S) = Windows 10 64- bit

Thank you for information.

Procedure now (me/Rick) - look at Internet settings for Windows Edge - to get specific understanding - for conveyance to you as 'step by step' instruction.

May take several hours.

Thank you for patience.

Rick.

HP Recommended

How to change the default Microsoft Edge download location

• Tap on the Windows-key, type regedit and hit enter.
  • Confirm the UAC prompt if it comes up.
  • Navigate to the key HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerUser Shell...
  • Locate the data value %USERPROFILE%Downloads on the right.
  • Double-click on it and change the value...

Above detail copied from MicroSoft Edge user help pages (copyright acknowledged).

Rick.

HP Recommended

One problem creates another one.  Ok how do I make Microsoft Edge my default browser it keeps asking asking me do I want it to be and to go to settings but doesnt tell me what to do after that? What do I do? help?

HP Recommended

Dear Bazookabubba,

1. Bottom left corner of screen is Windows (square) start logo. Click on this ...

2. Select: "Settings" (second icon from base - looks like machine cog)

3. Select: "Applications" (middle icon of three - at left of choices).

4. Select: "Default Applications" (second choice from top - left panel).

5. Select: click on "Web Browser" (bottom of listed icons).

6. From applications/choices shown - double click on "Edge".

Exit (all done).

Rick,

HP Recommended

THANK you that actually was easier than I thought it would be now I will try the other thing you said Ill let you know how I do.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.