Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
05-16-2020 02:59 PM
Hi guys can anyone help me? My PC downloads files straight to my desktop when most of the time I wantbto "save as" to flash drive how do I get tat option? Is it a settings issue? I'm so frustrated!
Solved! Go to Solution.
05-16-2020 03:28 PM
The issue described is related to your operating system (OS), first tier - then the internet browser (second tier), then any download manager program running with the browser.
We ask visitors requesting help to give information about their computer (type, model, CPU, class/age) and Operating System (name, version, edition) - in order to understand the scope of problems/issues that can be software (OS) and component (computer parts) specific.
Without this detail it is impossible to give accurate responses - thus wastes the time of folks here trying to help.
Assuming you are running Windows (MS) or Umbunto (Linux) - browser sub function is pretty much the same.
Go to your connection settings, then accounts. In there somewhere will be "default download directory". It will show "desktop" or 'default' currently. Change it to the desired location ... eg. C:\downloads - then save.
Check to see if the browser is using a 'download accelerator' or download helper (apps/plug-ins); then go to plug-ins/apps - and right click on the application or plug-in. Change the download directory to C:\downloads - then exit.
Next go to your hard drive file viewer (Explorer) and make a folder called 'downloads' on the root drive (drive C:). Once done everything will get downloaded there.
05-17-2020 06:53 AM
It didn't work and quite frankly your response was very confusing to a new user can you please write step 1 step 2 ect ect your response was all over the place i tried the thing you said about the defaults and it appears its already on C drive the only other option is drive D recorvery so i that didnt work? if you want to know the system of my laptop you did not describe where i find it ????
05-17-2020 11:14 AM
1. Your computer will have a model/type on the body/housing - or on the underside (sticker). Please provide that information.
2. You are using some Operating System = the master program for daily work/use of the computer. This is probably "Windows", by microsoft. It will have a version number (10?) and edition type (home?). Please provide this information.
05-17-2020 11:47 AM - last edited on 05-17-2020 12:03 PM by Ozzie-P
Product name is HP 2000 Notebook PC
Product # D1E15UA#ABA
Windows 10 64- bit
Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.836)
Now what? Thank you for trying to help I hope my computer doesn't get hacked with all this info I just provided!
05-17-2020 11:58 AM
Dear Bazookabubba ...
Thank you for the details.
Your computer cannot be 'hacked' by the detail provided.
Only required: Product name is HP 2000 Notebook PC
For future - only give "Serial Number" - in (locked) HP warranty request forms. (Is personal data = you ... not sufficient for 'hacking your computer').
Operating System (O/S) = Windows 10 64- bit
Thank you for information.
Procedure now (me/Rick) - look at Internet settings for Windows Edge - to get specific understanding - for conveyance to you as 'step by step' instruction.
May take several hours.
Thank you for patience.
05-17-2020 12:21 PM
How to change the default Microsoft Edge download location
- Tap on the Windows-key, type regedit and hit enter.
- Confirm the UAC prompt if it comes up.
- Navigate to the key HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerUser Shell...
- Locate the data value %USERPROFILE%Downloads on the right.
- Double-click on it and change the value...
Above detail copied from MicroSoft Edge user help pages (copyright acknowledged).
05-17-2020 12:49 PM
1. Bottom left corner of screen is Windows (square) start logo. Click on this ...
2. Select: "Settings" (second icon from base - looks like machine cog)
3. Select: "Applications" (middle icon of three - at left of choices).
4. Select: "Default Applications" (second choice from top - left panel).
5. Select: click on "Web Browser" (bottom of listed icons).
6. From applications/choices shown - double click on "Edge".
Exit (all done).