Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I started having this issue as well. I just got it back from HP repair center a month ago for a very similar issue. I called support this morning and he suggested it's due to the windows update. Unfortunately I don't have any restore points to back up to so this may require a fresh install. 😞

HP Recommended

Hey Philip, I been having the same problem with my HP Omen PC, and When I contacted HP Support they also said to perform a clean install of Windows 10 using a USB drive. Currently, I do not have a USB drive with me so I ordered one from Amazon and should arrive in a couple of days. The person from HP Support also said I will not lose any of my data because since I have two hard drives I will be able to install windows only on my C Drive. I just wanted to know did you have the same situation as me and can you tell me the steps you took to boot using a USB drive. Thank you in advance       

HP Recommended

Hi Aakash27,

Yup, exactly the same for me - I ordered an extra USB drive but managed to find an old one before it arrived! And, like you, I have separate system and data drives though I had to spend quite some time explaining to HP Support that I wouldn't have to wipe the data drive ... yes, you'll just need to wipe and rebuild the system drive (C:). So, you will loose any applications, data and configuration details that you have on the system drive. Data on your D drive should be perfectly safe. If you've managed to install apps to your D drive they get orphaned but hey ...

The steps are relatively straightforward though you do need [access to] a second PC to prepare the USB :

• Download the Windows Media Creation Tool
  • Prepare the USB with 64-bit or 32-bit Windows as appropriate. There are fairly clear instructions for this on the Microsoft website
  • With the PC powered off, insert the USB drive
  • Power on whilst repeatedly pressing the F9 function key to get to the Boot Options
  • Once the PC gets to the Boot Options screen, select the USB drive containing the Windows 10 creation media and go from there
  • You will then delete the partitions from your system drive (all three) - leaving the data drive well alone
  • And then install Windows onto the empty space you will have created ...

The install doesn't ask for a Windows 10 licence key - as I understand it picks that up from your Microsoft account.

All the data on my C drive was also on OneDrive so that came back automatically, just leaving me with the task of re-installing all the apps that I want ...

Philip
HP Recommended

Philip,

After installing from the USB, did you need to turn-off automatic updates or any other Microsoft service?  Or did the base Windows 10 release solve the issue altogether?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Yes, you have to turn off automatic updates for a long as it will let you.

HP Recommended

Dethrek,

No, you do not need to turn-off automatic updates or any other Microsoft service. I haven't. My PC is still running Windows Update as normal, is fully up-to-date as of this morning, doesn't blue-screen and certainly appears stable. 🙂

The base Windows 10 release doesn't 'solve' the issue per-se - it simply pre-dates the offending update from Microsoft. However, as far as I can tell, without having full knowledge of the exact source of the issue, Microsoft have already fixed the update process  such that the problem no longer recurs.

[Dnaumov sensibly turned-off automatic updates which certainly would have been necessary prior to Microsoft fixing the issue but that doesn't appear to be necessary now.]

Philip
HP Recommended

If currently people are no longer getting the issue to reappear after a reinstall despite having Windows Update enabled, It looks as if the offending update might have been pulled. But it certainly was still on offer and was still causing the issue last weekend.

HP Recommended

Dnaumov,

Quite so ... I  applied the fix Tuesday last, and it would appear that Microsoft have now resolved their issue, so when you do re-enable updates you should be OK ... 😉

Philip
HP Recommended

I have 2 Omens, in at home and one in the office, both went into boot loop, got both fixed,but now my office one has gone again!

Both of these went within day of each other and after hp updates.

HP Recommended

Alex,

Can you advise when your office Omen got fixed and when it went bad again?

I started my re-install on Tuesday and have applied every update from Microsoft since then without issue - all significant updates applied 12th May.  Mind you this is an Envy rather than an Omen so that might make a difference. So far I have not downloaded (nor installed) any updates directly from HP - so I don't have the HP Support Assistant running nor have I applied any driver updates supplied by HP directly (though clearly anything supplied via Microsoft Windows Update will have come through).

Since I need the machine tonight - it's family Covid-19 quiz night - I won't risk anything today and so have paused updates again for now. I'll resume updates tomorrow to see what happens ... 🙂

Does anyone know why Microsoft thought it a good idea to remove the option to have Windows Update ask before applying updates [rhetorical question]? I note that, in the latest version of Windows, updates are applied automatically whether you like it or not ... 😞 ... hey ho.

Philip
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.