Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Gaming Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop - 690-0073w

Earlier this week, I encountered a BSOD with KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED showing as the error, no other information was on screen. I was able to reboot enough to download dump files and then used my laptop to contact the Microsoft help community. Long story short, they decided it was related to McAfee and advised me to uninstall or update that software. I chose to uninstall and then rebooted. All was well until today. 

I found my computer in sleep mode but it wouldn't wake up. I ended up doing a hard power down (pressed and held the power button until it shut off), then restarted it. Booted okay through the log in screen, then BSOD and KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. Rebooted and was able to get far enough to download the dump files again. Posted them back to that Microsoft community and they're saying there's still part of a McAfee file there that's mucking up the works. Suggested I use the McAfee Consumer Removal Tool to get rid of it.

Okay, that's all well and good, but now my computer won't boot at all. I turn it on, it brings up the landscape photo screen with the time and date, then immediately BSOD and KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED.  After a couple of repetitions, I can get it to the Windows Recovery screen (Startup Repair, Startup settings, Command prompt, etc.). But, the computer won't boot into Safe Mode either. I go through that process and whether I choose 4 or 5 (without or with networking), BSOD and KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. 

Searching the boards here, I see that there was apparently a Windows Update that's mucking up the works with some HP desktops. Advice has been to do a clean install of Windows 10. I'm okay with doing that BUT is there any way I can grab any data from the drive first? There are a handful of files I really don't want to lose if I can avoid it. 

I do not have a System Restore point as I didn't set one up after the last snafu. Been just trying to get apps reloaded and such. 

Any suggestions would be welcome, thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I started getting the same problem about 1 week ago.  If this is occurring to multiple people at the same time, it is likely a software related issue.  I ended up formatting the SSD and doing a fresh install of Win10 (no McAfee or hp bloatware/software).  It was problem free until this problem started again today.  Currently disabling the graphics driver, but it just self hard rebooted just now.  Not sure what is going on.

HP Recommended

Jim3216, I think many of us HP Computer owners have been getting hit almost at the same time with the BSOD.  I got hit again on May 19th, so this is like the 4th time.

For your case, when you choose to "RESET YOUR PC" and reinstall Windows 10, there is an option NOT to delete your personal files.  So you don't have to worry about your files being deleted.  The pain is having to reinstall all your programs etc.  I had to do this the first time I hit the BSOD, and then after that I turned on System Restore so that I have some point in time that I could recover from.

Surprisingly when I got hit today, my system restore point on May 17th still didn't work, and I had to revert all the way back to May 15th.

HP Recommended

My May 15 restore point lead to a bsod at Windows login unfortunately 

HP Recommended

There is a better thread with possible solutions in here if you go and take a look there could be solutions for you.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=OSandSW&message.id=178497#M178497

HP Recommended

Yeah, that option to not lose files isn't exactly accurate. That's the route I went at one point during my debacle and lost a ton of stuff. 

Here's the timeline for my issues, in case anyone is keeping score.

May 11 - BSOD out of nowhere, with this KMODE error. I was unable to boot into Safe Mode, computer would just BSOD again, but I was able to boot normally, though the computer wouldn't stay up for long before it would crash. I posted in the Microsoft community for help. Ended up, the rep there determined it was related to McAfee, so I uninstalled everything as quickly as I could before the computer crashed again. All seemed well.

May 14 - Computer wouldn't wake from sleep mode, so did a hard power down. Turned it on and computer went to BSOD with same KMODE error. This time, no matter what I did, it wouldn't reboot, ending up in the Windows Recovery area. Posted again in the Microsoft community and was told to talk to HP as the computer is still under warranty. Contacted support via Chat and they walked me through reinstalling Windows, losing a bunch of my data in the process. Once the machine was back up and running, it seemed fine.

May 19 -  Installed Malwarebytes to do a quick scan. The moment I tried to run the program, BSOD with KMODE. However, this time the computer rebooted itself (previously, it would just hang on the BSOD). As soon as it was back up, I uninstalled Malwarebytes (using Add/Remove Programs). Then, I downloaded their consumer tool to remove any lingering files. All seemed okay for about 30 minutes, then BSOD again. Went back to Microsoft community and posted there. I was told that the new dump files revealed: "Both the crashes blamed MsMpEng.exe which is a part of Windows Security." I tried using Drive Verifier, per their request, but system just crashed. Managed to restore to a point I'd saved on May 18 and, fingers crossed, computer hasn't crashed yet.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.