Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

@TheJDJ wrote:

It’s the latest Realtek 8822e Wifi card driver that is delivered by MS update. It was installed on my system, an OMEN Obelisk 875-0014, on May 13th and I immediately started getting the KMODE Exception not handled boot loop.

One way past the issue which I have used twice now:
1. Power off and remove the Realtek 8822e.
2. Move your boot drive to different model system without a Realtek 8822e.
*you will need your BitLocker key if you use BL.
3. Boot the other system and let it detect and add the new devices (you may want to clean these up later). Log in then shutdown.
4. Move the boot drive back to your original system and hopefully reboot.

5. Replace that awful Realtek card with something else. I have a new Intel card on the way and I am temporarily using an old Intel 8260 card from another system.

** I'm sorry I don't have the version of the Realtek driver since I removed the card and deleted everything related to it. Maybe someone can reply.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm not sure that is my issue. After doing a clean reinstall this afternoon, my driver version for the Realtek 8822BE was 2024.0.10.209, date 12/4/2019. After running Windows Update (I'm now up to Windows 10 Home version 1903), the driver for the 8822BE is the same.

HP Recommended

I've had the KMODE Exception BSOD error four times since May 8th.  I've been able to use restore points to restart my computer each time, but HP needs to provide a permanent solution.  This is getting ridiculous.  

HP Recommended

I just wanted to chime in and say that I've have to do a system restore around 4 times since the beginning of May as well.

BSOD in both regular and safe mode.  Memtest and SSD test come back clean.

HP Recommended

Hey guys, after resetting the system a week ago and disabled windows update, I thought I had solved the problem, and that lasted for a week — so here I am, again. A week later (May 19th) the same problem started to happen. Do you know any way to contact the HP customer service people? Like, how can I make them see that this is a very serious and real problem so they can work on it? Please let me know, I really want to file a complaint.

HP Recommended

EDIT: Earlier in the thread, it was mentioned that disabling Windows Defender, helped break the boot loop.  So that could be something to look into as well in conjunction with the drivers.

I don't think it's the regular Windows Updates that are causing this but it's the background windows driver updates that there's no easy way to turn off.  I followed the instructions on step 3 here from "Expert" user WAWood......wish me luck and I hope I won't be back posting that the BSOD came back:

What I would suggest is the following:

1) Do another clean-install -- as that seemed to work last time and should, again

2) Follow these instructions to make a backup of the WORKING drivers:  https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/68426-backup-restore-device-drivers-windows-10-a.html

3) Consider disabling future driver updates using the information in the link: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/48277-driver-updates-windows-update-enable-disable-windows-10-a.h...

HP Recommended

I don't think we've heard anything from HP about this.

I don't suscribe to Twitter or Facebook, but if anyone here does, it may be worth tweeting HP and perhaps PC World magazine to alert them to this. Probably good to provide a link to this forum and topic, if possible.

I'm concerned that this is a circular conversation in the forum, and HP have somehow to be pulled in to act decisively.

HP Recommended

I contacted them on Facebook and Twitter and linked it back to this thread.  Let's see if they reply with anything.  I would encourage everyone to do the same.  I find responsiveness is usually faster on social media.

HP Recommended

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts on this.  

I had this happen to me on my HP desktop a few days ago.  "KMode exception not handled" over and over again on startup.

Loaded fresh Windows 10.  D/loaded Windows 10 updates and HP updates.  No issue ... until i let it go to sleep.    

Blue screen with "KMode.." looping again ... 

Might be wise to disable sleep until this matter is resolved .. 

HP Recommended

I've found it best to disable sleep and hibernate anyway, and I turned also off Fast Start in Power Options.

HP Recommended

Likewise .. I will not enable updates from HP Support Assistant .. and monitor .. keeping my fingers crossed ... 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.