Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I had the same experience as Roger B57. Brand new HP Pavilion - started up on Friday 5/29. Windows updates started downloading and installing - then BSOD. System then rebooted and has been acting normally since then.  

Ironically, I bought the new computer because I did not find this thread in time. I had a 2-year old HP Pavilion that started the BSOD - K Mode Exception loop in mid-May and, since I had not yet found any on-line answers (and have little general knowledge of computer tech), I thought I might have a hardware problem. Had I found this thread in time, I might have been able to get the old computer  working again and I definitely would not have gotten another HP product.

To add to another recent idea being discussed in this chain, my older HP has a combination SSD-HDD.

My thanks to everyone participating in this chain. 

HP Recommended

One more point perhaps worth mentioning:

When I was going through the setup process with this computer, it asked whether I wanted to install McAfee and I am quite sure I clicked "no." However, when the system came back after the BSOD, I found that McAfee was turned on and Windows Defender was not. Like at least one other poster, I would prefer not to use McAfee but I am now wondering whether I'd be crazy to switch to Defender.  

HP Recommended

My computer is still running without any issue since 5/27/20 with Updates still enabled.

Some of you have mentioned having an SSD and HDD. My computer only came with one M.2 SSD, so I installed another SSD and HDD, as well as more RAM, after I purchased the computer in December 2019. If I have the chance in the next couple days to look at the specs of those drives I added, I will give you that info.

When my system first crashed, I uninstalled both drives as well as put back the original RAM to see if they were the culprit. I still was caught in BSOD boot loop with them uninstalled. When I made the registry changes to disable Windows Defender on 5/27/20, I had not reinstalled those drives. I waited to put the drives back in until all updates had been installed and I had several successful reboots. If part of the problem was related to having more than one drive, I wonder if my system would not have crashed if I never installed those extra drives.

HP Recommended

@melinda00

When my system first crashed, I uninstalled both drives as well as put back the original RAM to see if they were the culprit.

Wow. I'm not the only one who had my pc opened up down on the floor pulling out ram and reseating the graphics card. I was so happy when the screw I dropped down in the guts came out when I turned it over and shook it. I was convinced there was a hardware problem in the beginning. I wonder how many people wound up unnecessarily taking their PCs in for service, or, like myself who is not technically inclined, caused permanent damage to their device?

Let's face it, this was not a blip or a hiccup. I lost all my data and spent two days repeatedly reloading windows and staring at BSODs.

I guess the silver lining is I'm very good at re-installing windows now and I finally figured out how to make file history work so I won't lose my personal data in the future. That's assuming my cheap flash drive doesn't flake out on me.

Also, it made me realize how lucky we are now that all you have to do to reload applications is not delete the email you get from developers when you purchase software. What a timesaver that is!

In addition, I'm going to be keeping a copy of windows on a flash drive in perpetuity. I never lost my recovery partition, but it sure seems like a miracle that never happened considering all this put my poor PC through.

Obelisk 875-0060 , Edoras H370 chipset 84FD , Core I7-8700 , Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 , WIN10 Home 1909 Build 18363.836
HP Recommended

Hello,

When I was going through the setup process with this computer, it asked whether I wanted to install McAfee and I am quite sure I clicked "no." However, when the system came back after the BSOD, I found that McAfee was turned on and Windows Defender was not. Like at least one other poster, I would prefer not to use McAfee but I am now wondering whether I'd be crazy to switch to Defender.  

thanks,

rahulsaha.

HP Recommended

@rahulsaha wrote:

Hello,

thanks,

rahulsaha.

Hi there!

I think the question you have might be related to whether or not you chose the "fresh install" or "factory reset" options when installing windows. When I chose the manufacturer reset option it installed mcaffee because that was in the installation I originally got when I ordered this pre-built PC. If I have to reinstall windows again I will choose the fresh install because it seems like the wiser option after doing a lot of research on the subject. I might have to go to the HP site to download drivers specifically intended for my PC afterwards, but still, why would I want candy crush and a bunch of stuff I don't need installed on my system drive if I can get a "clean" copy of windows by choosing fresh installation?

If I'm incorrect on this, anyone who knows better should feel free to correct me. My feeling won't be hurt.

Obelisk 875-0060 , Edoras H370 chipset 84FD , Core I7-8700 , Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 , WIN10 Home 1909 Build 18363.836
HP Recommended

I'm having same problem with Hp pav gaming 790-0068. 

I tried restoring but doesn't complete restore. 

HP Recommended

Just wanted to let everyone know I just got this email from HP Support, looks like that a fix is under way. 

-------------------------

Hi,
I tried calling you just now to check how is the computer working.
Also wanted to let you know that a fix is under development and will be rolled out through firmware update via windows updates in the future.

------------------------

HP Recommended

I had the same issue! My computer is now in the hands of HP and they have not followed up with me for 2 weeks!!!

I try to contact customer service and every time I contact them, someone from India tells me they are sorry and says someone will call me the next day.... They never call back and they are hard to understand! 

My mom worked for HP for 43 years and I'm embarrassed to say this experience has been terrible!! 

HP has had my computer now for the third week and still no updates on repairing this same issue!!

HP Recommended

@Melinda00

Is your system still OK as at Wednesday 3rd June?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.