Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

As of today, June 3, 2020, my computer has been running with automatic updates and Windows Defender on without issue. Windows 10 version 2004 is not yet available to me, so I will have to wait and see how my system fares after that update. It appears the only other recent update that shows up in my update history is from today: Definition Update KB2267602 - Security Intelligence update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus.

Just a side note for those that are finding a relationship between HP Support Assistant and WD. It looks like HP Support Assistant is not set up on my system. When I search for it, and open the app, the following screen opens. I don’t know if that means I never had HP Support Assistant running or if it was disabled somehow. It indicates that I have HPSA version is 9.6.598.0. I’ve only had the computer since Dec 2019, and never thought to look for this app before. I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, but thought I would mention it. 

001.jpg

HP Recommended

Brief update: I did my second clean install of Windows 10 on 20th May, reinstalled the HP Support Assistant and supporting components, updated HP supplied drivers and re-enabled Windows Update on 24th May. So, as at 3rd June I've been running without incident for 10 days.

The only 'oddity' is the fact that Windows Update still tells me that my device isn't quite ready for version 2004. The new feature update isn't even offered on my laptop but my 6/7 year old Pavilion (A6) is already running quite happily on version 2004. It would be interesting to know what it is about my 7 month old Envy that isn't ready ...

And to recap on what I think we know (i.e. just my opinion):

• Windows Defender was clearly implicated in the issue - mini dumps flagged WD as running at the time of the crash and disabling WD enabled folk to regain control of there PCs. There is a belief (that I subscribe to) that updates to WD issued around 22nd / 23rd May 'resolved' the issue - at least to the extent that PCs updated beyond that point are stable again. (Not proven but I am increasingly confident).
  • But there must be something about, or running on, modern HP machines that provokes the error in WD. And that something is most probably a software component that runs periodically in the background. My money would be on Touchpoint Analytics but I have no evidence to support that view - other than the fact that it runs periodically in the background and that first time around my PC was stable for eight days before I re-enabled the HP software.
  • As far as I am aware, no one has reported this issue on a PC with a single drive - machines that have suffered the BSOD have all had multiple drives. [Cue for someone to post back and disprove that theory - Edit: Kindly debunked by Drilldoc below ... 🙂

@Melinda00 - as far as I know, new HP machines are delivered with the HP Support Assistant installed and active ... so I am confused as to why yours appears not the have been.

Philip
HP Recommended

@fcorral wrote:

Just wanted to let everyone know I just got this email from HP Support, looks like that a fix is under way. 

-------------------------

Hi,
I tried calling you just now to check how is the computer working.
Also wanted to let you know that a fix is under development and will be rolled out through firmware update via windows updates in the future.

------------------------

Fcorral,

Thanks for sharing this feedback ... my problem is that I am having difficulty in believing what it is saying ...

A firmware update would be applied to change the way a piece of hardware operated. HP has traditionally provided BIOS updates and such like via the HP Support pages and/or the HP Support Assistant. I guess that they could have made a change to distribute this sort of fix via Windows Update but it seems rather radical. And, anyway, which piece of hardware requires this fix?

If you get a chance to speak to your helpful agent again, perhaps you could ask what it is that is being fixed through this firmware update?

Philip
HP Recommended

@Philip42h_2

Regarding the rollout of 2004, it seems that MS stagger offering it to avoid tens of millions hitting their servers simultaneously. Obviously some machines won't be able to run newer versions, but the message is mainly a delaying notification for eligible systems. Perhaps older machines get it sooner because they're longer enrolled on MS.

Good point about the "firmware" fix. I can't see what could possibly need that to remedy what seems to be a software conflict. The thought of more unspecified stuff being shoved into systems is worrying. Updating firmware is more like a BIOS flash, and needs a tighter approach than pushing it with a bunch of software /driver updates. I'll be keen to know the answer.

HP Recommended

@Philip42h_2

I guess I'll be the one to jump in and debunk the multiple drive theory. I have been following this thread closely because I have the same problem with the BSOD and yet I only have one 1TB hard drive.  It's a 600 dollar club store Pavilion so nothing fancy. It's been turned off for over 3 weeks but I now feel like the problem has been solved so in a day or so I will do a fresh install of Windows and follow everyone's lead here and see what happens.  I'll post back at a later time how it all turns out.

HP Recommended

@Drilldoc wrote:

@Philip42h_2

I guess I'll be the one to jump in and debunk the multiple drive theory. I have been following this thread closely because I have the same problem with the BSOD and yet I only have one 1TB hard drive.  It's a 600 dollar club store Pavilion so nothing fancy. It's been turned off for over 3 weeks but I now feel like the problem has been solved so in a day or so I will do a fresh install of Windows and follow everyone's lead here and see what happens.  I'll post back at a later time how it all turns out.

Thanks for that - one less possibility to puzzle over! 🙂

Philip
HP Recommended
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

My repaired pc comes later today after 2 weeks, what should I do to prevent the BSOD Loop, or is it already fixed.

HP Recommended

Oddly enough I had an email from HP Support this morning including a link to a zip file that would resolve the issue - it is simply a command file and a set of Windows Defender updates to bring WD up to the status as at the end of May. Since I'm already beyond that point I didn't apply the patch - well that and the fact the Windows Defender prevented me from running an unrecognised app!

So, HP Support (UK) would appear to believe that the Defender updates resolve the issue - which is wholly consistent with the balance of opinion on this thread I suspect.

@SpedP

I guess it all depends on the state in which your PC is returned to you but, if it is a factory reset or clean install state, pretty much the first thing Windows does when starting from that state is to update Defender and, I believe, that will get you to a safe state straight out of the blocks ... 🤞

Philip
HP Recommended

Hopefully so.

HP Recommended

How to check if my Pavilion 17 installed "Hp software component 4.1.4.3079".  Last week I get on WU some HP Drivers, but after installing and restarting to apply update, I get "Failed to install" error in WU. I try again, but update not showing. Check for Updates every day, but not getting hp software component 4.1.4.3079.

When I go to Device Manager I didn't see Software Components section or HP Device Health Service.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.